My cats water broke at 10 pm last night

tlverdin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My almost two year old cat had a sac of fluid come out last night at around 10 pm. I have her a nesting area but she won't go into it and instead wants to stay very close to me. She is actually beside me on the couch in my blanket.. She was panting throughout the night and having tiny contractions but does not seem to be in any pain. She is sleeping and resting. I believe she has dropped because her stomach feels slightly smaller and I feel the babies closer to the birth canal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tlverdin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She isnt actively laboring or anything. Last night she was panting a little and purring but she is just laying around now and sleeping. She isnt meowing or showing any signs of discomfort. She is drinking and eating. She is on the small side though so I worry about her having the kittens and them being too big and I have been worrying myself ragged since she had the discharge last night at 10 and the articles I read said that she should start pushing with an hour or 2. I have read a bunch of threads on here though that have made me feel better so I am hoping for the best. I am foing to go to the store to get her some canned food to keep up her strength. Is there a brand that is better for her?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Fancy Feast makes excellent canned wet food.

It sounds like your cat had some pre-labor pains. This is normal. It does not sound like she is presently laboring, so she will probably have kittens in the next 2-3 days.

tlverdin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok. That is very reassuring. Thank you. I will definitely keep posting for updates.

tlverdin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long is stage 2 of labor? My cat Thumper has started having contractions now. She is in her box with a blanket and I am right beside her because if I move she tries to jump out and follow me.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Stage one is about 24 hours. Stage two is pushing out kittens. What stage is she in?

tlverdin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her whole body is tensing and she is licking herself a lot. Does pushing look different than that?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That’s not pushing; it’s contractions. Pushing will look more like a bowel movement except she will be pushing a kitten out.

tlverdin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so she isnt to stage 2 yet

tlverdin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will she push for extended period of time? She has been in her box for hours now without getting out. She looks so tired.

tlverdin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. Sorry about all the questions. First time my cat has had kittens. I took her last year to get spayed but they wouldn't do it because she has a breathing issue. I kept her inside but she got put once and got pregnant.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
After this litter weans, you might want to try a different vet who may feel more confident about spaying her, and perhaps her breathing issues have improved since then. :)

tlverdin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am. She had one kitten at 6:30 this morning and it was stillborn. No more kittens yet. Is that normal?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hardly have any background with this, but last year when I helped with a first time pregnant cat, she gave birth to one baby and it was 24 hours later before she birthed two more, sadly one of which was stillborn. So, I am inclined to think what is going on is relatively common. Hang in there.

tlverdin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hardly have any background with this, but last year when I helped with a first time pregnant cat, she gave birth to one baby and it was 24 hours later before she birthed two more, sadly one of which was stillborn. So, I am inclined to think what is going on is relatively common. Hang in there.
Thanks for the reply. She still doesn't seem to be in any pain. I gave her some goat's milk this morning because we just got a puppy last week whose mother wasn't nursing and she drank that. She ate some of the canned food that I got for her this morning as well and drank some water. I keep seeing posts about the babies moving but am not seeing any movement except her breathing and contractions. She still wants me to stay really close and purrs when I am petting her and wants me to rub her belly. I know she has to be tired because I am exhausted....lol

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The 24 hour break that Mia (my cat) took seemed as if nothing else was going to happen. But, it was different in that she had a kitten to tend to. Since she only had 3 kittens in total, I am thinking we didn't notice any movement in that 24 hour break because there was just one viable kitten left.
As long as she is eating/drinking and doesn't appear to be in distress, you will just have to keep an eye out on her for changes. Hopefully, you won't have to wait much longer!!