My cat's sibling passed away. Should I introduce a new cat for a companion?

steaket

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cat's Patches, passed away about a month ago. She was from the same litter as her sister Dot. They have been together for 14 years and are indoor cats. Dot has become more attentive and wanting more affection, I am not sure if she is lonely. Should I get another cat?ConcernedSteaket

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She probably is experiencing loneliness if they were a close pair, and cats do grieve that loss.

As for getting another cat...that I don't know. What you could do is contact any rescue groups in your area that foster out cats. They can do better with matching you up with a cat that may be a good fit for you and her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

steaket

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a good idea about fostering!!! And yes I think she is grieving, she is howling in the hallways during the night and is constantly meowing...that is more than what she use to do.

Thanks for your help, it's lifted my spirits to find a companion for my little girl

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not think that Katluver4life was suggesting that you foster (please correct if I am wrong!) I think she was suggesting that foster 'parents' might know the personalities of cats they are fostering best.

I definitely WOULD NOT recommend fostering in your situation.  Fostering means giving the cat up as soon as a forever home can be found for  him or her.  I definitely do not think it would be in Dot's best interest to have to be introduced to a new cat (keep in mind, introductions commonly take, at a minimum, a few weeks, and are almost always, at least at first, stressful for both cats), have that cat suddenly taken away, and then (assuming you continued to foster) meet a new cat.  When I foster I always keep my fosters totally isolated from my resident cats (and indeed, many programs require you to do so, though mine does not).

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hahaha! Well I'm glad you think you might like to foster and it can be a wonderful thing to do for cats needing homes, but tulosai is correct in that I was suggesting checking area rescues who have cats in foster care to adopt, as they can match you better with your, and your current kitty's personalities. Cats in foster care are in home situations and their foster parent has a good idea of what kind of cat they are. ie are they friendly, outgoing, shy, good with other cats, lap cat, not a lap cat, ect.

I agree that fostering cats yourself may not be the answer for Dot's loneliness. You want another good partner for her for many more years.

If you wish to foster yourself, get in touch with an area rescue and really research what is required. It can be fulfilling, but also a lot of work and commitment, and yes in the end, they go to another home. Do you have a room you can dedicate to use as an isolation room? This is one thing that is an absolute must when fostering, as any cat brought into your home will need to be separated, at least at first, and possibly quite awhile. 1) Not all cats get along right off, in fact most do not at least for a few days, if not weeks or months 2) You may need to administer medications to an ill cat and keep it from infecting your resident cat. 3) Possible pregnant foster who would also need her own room. 4) Any new cat brought into a home should be isolated until the all clear with any possible health issues and they have been tested, deflea'd, dewormed, and vaccinations given.

I suggested using a rescue to search for a new companion for Dot because of her age. Adopting from an shelter, though I would love it if everyone could do so, when adding a second or third cat, it's important to get the right fit, and with foster situations this is more likely to be a better way to get that. Shelter cats definitely are in need of good homes and you could very well find a good match for her at one also. Take your time. Ask a lot of questions about any cat your interested in. If in a shelter, see how it reacts to the other cats around him/her.

Either way I hope you find her a wonderful new buddy.