My cat's pregnant/Kittens possibly born outside

Callietheturtle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my outdoor cat is pregnant and i estimated her due date to be April 26th but yesterday when i came home her stomach was squishy smaller and her back legs were wet . This morning i woke up her legs were dry and her stomach had decreased in size almost to her normal weight. Sadly because she is an outdoor cat i have no idea where she could have had them. Any ideas or has she even given birth yet. Pls help !

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If your cat has given birth, or if she is about to, she has very likely found a secluded quiet place which she believes is safe. I have had ferals give birth under very large bushes, under houses, or in very heavily wooded areas or yards. One mother always used a garage which was set up for the ferals and one used a car which had been opened by the owner briefly, but then closed again with the kittens inside. Mother cat was frantic and we fortunately figured it out in time, at which point she grabbed the kittens and headed for the old furniture in the garage. The best thing for you to do is to start looking around. Listen for any soft mewing or leaves moving. You must be the feeder for the mother cat? She will leave the litter briefly to come for food, but should return to them fairly quickly. If you see her hanging around your house for a long period of time, she may not be caring for them or something may have happened, in which case keep looking.

If you can find the kittens, is it possible to create a safe place for them either inside your house or next to it where the mother cat might stay with them? If she has chosen a safe place, it might be possible to leave them temporarily and help her to care for them remotely.

Do you have plans to find homes or to spay them or the mother?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Callietheturtle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sadly I will be giving the kittens to a no kill shelter, I’m only a junior In high school so I don’t have the resources to care for kittens but I’ve been taking care of the mama cat since she was a baby I still haven’t found where she had them but I’m assuming they’re in my neighbors yard since she travels between houses

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Giving them to a no kill shelter is fine, but keep looking for them.