My cat's poop comes out of the litterbox with him

jessapaints

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes my cat exits the litter box with a full poop still attached to his bum. He starts running until it detaches and then I have to go clean it up. There was also a time when it stuck to him and he started scooting on the floor until it came off. Usually it happens like once a month at most, but this week it has happened 3 times. He's a short hair cat and doesn't usually have hairballs. However, I do think it could be hair that is causing the issue. That's the only explanation I can think of. Has anyone had this issue? Any way to resolve it?

Alexandra L

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my Cathy have had such problem. It was related to nutrition, namely she ate a lot of cat cookies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessapaints

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my Cathy have had such problem. It was related to nutrition, namely she ate a lot of cat cookies
Hi Alexandra, thank you for sharing! That's interesting -- my cat does not eat treats (unless a roommate is sneaking him some!). He just eats Fancy Feast wet food and Purina kibble. Maybe he is having a reaction to his food though

Alexandra L

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
May be something changed in his nutrition, and it’s can be enough even small amounts if smth doesn’t pass

Alexandra L

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What kind of treats, and what foods, are you feeding Cathy? And has her vet been asked about this?
She eats First Choice dry food and Purina chicken pate. I don't give her treats at all now, although she used to love them. The vet asked about food and have said that First Choice and Purina pate suit her, but not treats

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes my cat exits the litter box with a full poop still attached to his bum. He starts running until it detaches and then I have to go clean it up. There was also a time when it stuck to him and he started scooting on the floor until it came off. Usually it happens like once a month at most, but this week it has happened 3 times. He's a short hair cat and doesn't usually have hairballs. However, I do think it could be hair that is causing the issue. That's the only explanation I can think of. Has anyone had this issue? Any way to resolve it?
if your cat is a long hair then you get his butt hairs shaved if you are the long hair then you get your head shaved :lol:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
This is normal. Even if your cat seldom has hair ball, that means the hair/fur ingested during grooming will pass through the gut and exit together with the poop.
Also it depends on how the cat's digestive system works, just like ours, sometimes we have harder poop and sometimes softer and sometimes mushy. Usually, harder or firm soft poop will pass out cleaner than the very soft firm looking poop and with this, it usually get stuck at the anus as it is to soft to be pushed out and also sometimes you find hair or hooman hair or thin fabric thread like stuffs at the end of the anus and this will also cause the poop to be stuck or left over as it cannot be excreted cleanly.

You can't do much as cats groom themselves even we brush them everyday which will help reduce the intake of fur but still they'll take in fur and also they sleep on the floor or beds and they pick up hooman hair and other stuffs when they groom themselves.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign:to TCS,nice to meet you.

Happens occasionally to my Graycie and she'll ' scoot" as well - she's had a few problems with anal glands where they needed to be manuallly expressed because the feces did not spontaneously " milk' as they didn't really pass through

Probably benefit from more fiber to help with a better consistency that will spontaneously milk the anal glands helping to pass more smoothly and completely - you might want to ask your Vet to have a look..

It's not as common in cats as it is with dogs but can be the reason and resolve- I prefer to add fiber suppliments rather than manual expression,it seems manual expression tends to hinder spontaneous response

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ita a good idea to check in with a vet if this is new. Some medical issues cause constipation and poop stuck to the bum is frequently a sign of unheslthy poops!