My cats paw has doubled in size

Catmam2OceanBlue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've just noticed my 6month old kittens paw is huge and I'm unsure what he's done to it. He's not limping but it looks inflammed. He spends alot of time in our back yard so he may have stood on some glass perhaps I'm not sure. Have any if you got experience of this . Can this happen off jumping from heights? The photo doesn't do justice to quite how large his paw looks in person compared to the other

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree, you don't really have much of a choice than to have a vet take a look. You could take a look yourself at the underside of his paw to see if that might tell you anything. If he stepped on something that got imbedded in his paw, you may be able to see it. And, if it were glass, I would expect there would be some blood involved.

However, until this is resolved, one big step you can take is not let him outside for now. If it something like a sprain or a strain, he will need to be confined while it heals anyway.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmam2OceanBlue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou I will take him to get looked at tomorrow and hopefully they will see him. He's registered at a charity ran vets so they only see emergency cases due to covid but surely they might see him given how large his paw is and I can't see any blood or visible glass in it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmam2OceanBlue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, this is definitely something that needs to be looked at by a vet. If you don't have one, this might help;

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

Find a Veterinarian and Practice | The Cat Community
He's registered at a charity ran vets and they only see emergency cases since covid so I'm hoping they will class this as an emergency as its very swollen but I'm very surprised he's not limping. He's an indoor cat apart from going in the yard so it's slightly easier to keep an eye on what he may of stood on but it's pretty debri free in our back yard as we have just moved so can't think what he would of stood on . We have a dog also they do get on but play fight from time to time but also can't imagine she's bit him or anything as she has no bottom teeth