My cats nipples have been declining in color what does this mean?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JadaD10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!

Let me ask, has she been spayed? Is she pregnant?
No she hasn’t been spayed I’ve been wondering if she’s pregnant cause she’s been hanging around a stray but the gender of the stray is unknown

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
They normally darken rather than lighten.
Having said that, an intact female who goes out is absolutely going to get pregnant. How old is she?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JadaD10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They normally darken rather than lighten.
Having said that, an intact female who goes out is absolutely going to get pregnant. How old is she?
10-9 months

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If she hasn't been spayed and has been allowed to go outside there is a very good chance that she is pregnant.

Can you afford to care for a litter of kittens? It can be very expensive to give the mother cat and kittens everything they need. They will need to stay with their mother for at least 12 weeks, they'll need blood tests and initial vaccines, the mother cat will need special food while she is pregnant and nursing and young kittens eat a lot. Plus there's the extra expense of cat litter, bedding, cleaning supplies and toys. You will need to put some money aside if the mother has any complications in her pregnancy too.

There are lots of great articles here.

Pregnant Cats And Kittens Articles

I really recommend that you read these ones so you know what to expect.

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth – TheCatSite Articles

How To Save Your Cat From These 16 Life-Threatening Pregnancy Risks – TheCatSite Articles

Post-birth Complications In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

All of my cats are spayed, but I sometimes take in litters of abandoned kittens and care for them until they can be rehomed. A litter of 4 costs around $2,000 to care for in the first 2 - 3 months.

Of course the mother will need to be spayed around 6 weeks after having kittens, as she will quickly go into heat again.

If you decide you can't afford kittens it would be a good idea to get her spayed now. It's a simple enough procedure in the early stages of pregnancy.