My cat's legs won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodvibes95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I woke up this morning to find my oldest cat on the floor. I called her to me and she stood up but her back legs wobbled and she violently fell down. She's around 10 years old and a calico tortoiseshell. She was a stray so I'm not sure about health issues. She's also overweight. I don't think her legs areally paralyzed because she can move them, she not use them. I will take her to the vet but I'm concerned they won't do anything. Any advice for her?

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get in quickly. I'm concerned it could be a saddle thrombosis (blood clot).

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I woke up this morning to find my oldest cat on the floor. I called her to me and she stood up but her back legs wobbled and she violently fell down. She's around 10 years old and a calico tortoiseshell. She was a stray so I'm not sure about health issues. She's also overweight. I don't think her legs areally paralyzed because she can move them, she not use them. I will take her to the vet but I'm concerned they won't do anything. Any advice for her?
I hope you've been to the vet by the time you see this, as others have implied this is likely an emergency.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goodvibes95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Earlier this morning I posted about my cat. People suggested a blood clot and it was urgent so I got her in asap. The vet told me it was her hip and if she's not better by tomorrow to bring her in. I don't believe it one bit. She's gotten worse to the point where she cant even move. I have to hold her head so she can eat. My mother mentioned something about her brain. Is there something else? I don't trust the vet.

Last edited by a moderator:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, this could be a blood clot and there could be more than one. If she is struggling to breathe you should consider going to an emergency vet.

goodvibes95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately, this could be a blood clot and there could be more than one. If she is struggling to breathe you should consider going to an emergency vet.
Is this urgent? Do you think she can make it through the night? I live an hour a wayfrom the closet vet and it closes at 5.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she needs blood thinners if there is any hope of breaking up the clot. I don't know that she'll be ok without treatment.

goodvibes95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think she needs blood thinners if there is any hope of breaking up the clot. I don't know that she'll be ok without treatment.
I took her and we had to have her euthanized. The vet took a blood test and they said it was a stroke possibly caused by a kidney failure. I feel like it could have been prevented because in the summer she had a bloody eye and that was linked to possible kidney failure. I'm glad she's not suffering. Thank you for the advice!  

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry to hear this news, and behalf of the moderators' team I offer our condolences. As a sign of respect we will now close this thread. When you feel ready you may like to open a tribute thread for her in the 'Crossing the Bridge' forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.