My cat's leg.

Ron454

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, before I take my cat in I was just wondering if anyone has ever had this problem with your cat, On Thursday he was limping on his right leg, Hes 15 years old I thought he may have fell but i saw nothing swollen. yesterday still limping and this morning i felt down his leg and felt a little crusty fur. This afternoon I felt it and can feel a little bump and looked but don't see anything. It is right where he has whiskers coming out of his leg, maybe in grown hair, infection? hard to say. Just thought I would see if anyone ever had this problem. I will be taking him in if not better in the morning, Thanks for any reply's....

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
No experience, but the limping is really a concern, plus his age. If he were mine I'd plan on taking him in. I'm sending lots of good thoughts!

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please have him checked by a vet as soon as you can. Kitties can get blood clots in legs, and they can travel and be fatal. ( just like people!) especially with his older age. Hopefully it is just a little arthritis or something less serious , but a vet would know best. keep us posted. Good luck !! 🤞 :hearthrob:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ron454

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, your right, he is older and do not want it to get worse ,I too hope it's not serious Hes my buddy. Thank you.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does he go outside? If so, he could have got into a fight with another cat, been bitten and it's formed an abscess. If this is the case, your vet will quickly deal with it. When I used to let my cats go outside (years ago), one was always getting abscesses from fighting, so much so my vet taught me how to deal with them. The cats I have now are all indoor cats so don't get into fights.

Ron454

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, yes he does go outside, he does stay only in our backyard, But in the past there has been other cats that have roamed our backyard so it is a possibility, He started out as a inside cat for the first 3 or so years after we got him from a rescue. I guess after this with his age and all we will be keeping him inside,thank you, i will also mention this to the vet.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, yes he does go outside, he does stay only in our backyard, But in the past there has been other cats that have roamed our backyard so it is a possibility, He started out as a inside cat for the first 3 or so years after we got him from a rescue. I guess after this with his age and all we will be keeping him inside,thank you, i will also mention this to the vet.
Keeping them inside, especially when they're a good age is wise. I currently have 9 cats of my own (I did have 10 but lost one a couple of weeks ago to old age - she was at least 17) plus one I'm long term fostering for my now ex neighbour whose brother owned the house and sold it from under his feet. Horrible thing to do to your own family. I have a thread about it on here. All my cats are indoor cats and even Fluffy, my foster has settled in really well. She was used to going in and out as she pleased. She wasn't happy about it for the first 4 or 5 days but has settled down now. My oldest indoor cat lived to 23 and our current oldest is 22.

Ron454

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keeping them inside, especially when they're a good age is wise. I currently have 9 cats of my own (I did have 10 but lost one a couple of weeks ago to old age - she was at least 17) plus one I'm long term fostering for my now ex neighbour whose brother owned the house and sold it from under his feet. Horrible thing to do to your own family. I have a thread about it on here. All my cats are indoor cats and even Fluffy, my foster has settled in really well. She was used to going in and out as she pleased. She wasn't happy about it for the first 4 or 5 days but has settled down now. My oldest indoor cat lived to 23 and our current oldest is 22.
Thank you,wow you have a full plate, and yes, I have herd they live longer as inside cats, Thank you all for your support,,,

Ron454

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will do...
Hi all, thanks for all the reply's. we took our cat in yesterday the vet said it maybe a joint problem . His blood pressure was up so now we are going back to see the vet in a few weeks and re look at him, He is on blood pressue meds and since sunday afternoon and is walking much better, Thank you all,i will keep you posted on how it goes.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, thanks for all the reply's. we took our cat in yesterday the vet said it maybe a joint problem . His blood pressure was up so now we are going back to see the vet in a few weeks and re look at him, He is on blood pressue meds and since sunday afternoon and is walking much better, Thank you all,i will keep you posted on how it goes.
Don't want to alarm you but often high blood pressure is one of the first signs of kidney failure. I know quite a bit about kidney failure as we have a hereditary genetic kidney disease that runs in our family. My son has been on and off dialysis since he was 15 and is on his second transplant. The same applies to cats. Be a good idea to get your vet to run a full blood panel which will show up any kidney disease. If it is that, cats, with the proper medication and care can live for many years. Please keep us updated.

Ron454

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't want to alarm you but often high blood pressure is one of the first signs of kidney failure. I know quite a bit about kidney failure as we have a hereditary genetic kidney disease that runs in our family. My son has been on and off dialysis since he was 15 and is on his second transplant. The same applies to cats. Be a good idea to get your vet to run a full blood panel which will show up any kidney disease. If it is that, cats, with the proper medication and care can live for many years. Please keep us updated.
Hi, thank you for the reply, he did do some bloodwork but i am not sure of the types he did. Thank you and i will follow up with him and see what he has done on these,