My Cats Keep Peeing Everywhere!

autumn_meowz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I Have 4 cats, one died recently.. The youngest is 3, then 4, 5, and 5.. We have 3 litter boxes but one or more cats keep peeing on the floor. Me and my best friend go to the store to find stuff to clean the pee. It smells so bad i am embarrassed to have anyone over! What do i do? None of them have UTI. Only the one who passes recently did. She was 24 so it was age. But I want to know who is doing. We have been switching cat litter and i just can't stop it. All cats are fixed except one but she doesn't pee on the ground... Please help me! Thank you! :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS! Peeing inappropriately can be a sign of grief. The grieving cat (or dog) sometimes pee where they smell the missing loved one's scent, in a forlorn attempt to call the departed one back.
I definitely would add a box in or near the pee area. Also, make sure that all the litter is unscented.
You could try pheromone diffusers or sprays, such as Feliway, to help calm the kitties.
Could there be stray cats or wildlife outside of the areas that are pee targets?
It becomes a sleuthing challenge to find clues as to "why" and "who". Does the culprit ever pee on a pad or old tshirt or towel? You can also use one to soak up fresh pee and then put it on top of a piece of cardboard in a place where all the cats walk by. They will stop to sniff it and if it is someone else's pee, they open their mouth to put the scent in their Jacobsen's organ to identify the culprit.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Condolences on the recent loss of your 24 year old cat. :alright: RIP sweet kitty. :angel:

Unless all 4 cats have been to the vet recently, I don't think you can totally rule out an UTI, as they can be recurring. So do keep an eye on your cats and try to determine which one(s) are peeing on the floor, so you can get them checked out at the vet.

It could, however, be stress caused from missing their matriarch. I'll post links to some articles with more info.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

Combat Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home

Do Cats Mourn?

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats