My cat's demolishing my mini-blinds!!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd just take down the blinds, do your own thing with the window (get some cheap blinds, drapes, whatever) then when you move out put the original blinds back up.

I always keep my blinds half raised during the day so that the cats can look out of the window, but I used to lower them at night (they could still see out of the kitchen window). Since getting Mosi I've had to leave them raised all the time as he was just destroying them. Now he still plays with them a bit but seems satisfied most of the time with being able to look out of the window 24/7.

-ann-

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had the same problem with my cat. He constantly destroyed the mini-blinds. I bought "Boundary" at a pet store. It's basically a cat repellant. You spray it where you don't want them to go and it keeps them away. It worked for us. We sprayed it every day on the window sills for a few weeks and he learned to stop jumping up there. That was years ago and we haven't had a problem since.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

The only thing I worry about is the cord. I run the blind's cords through pvc pipe that I have painted to match the room. The strings stay tucked out of the way, and the cat's can play in the blinds all they want.
Great idea....
Thanks for the cat safety tip MA.

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you raise your blinds a few inches, they'll go UNDER instead of THROUGH. That's what's destroying/breaking the ends of the blinds...they're going between the blinds to go into the window, and opening the blinds so wide, that the slats can't help but break. I've had this problem MANY times, and the only solution that really worked was raising them about four inches from the bottom, and they naturally had the inclination to go under instead of through the side portions of the blinds.

Another, more permanent, solution is to get vertical blinds; they are better for kitties that like to go into blind-fitted windows, and they close back up after kitty goes through.

Hope that helps!