My Cat's Breathing heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use a clumping type litter and for me it way too dusty. I know it's not recommended for kittens but it might affect older cats. Just a thought, might run it past your vet. Hope you kitty get well soon.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh Ralph, I am SOOOOOOOO very, very sorry about your loss. I've been checking for updates here. Perhaps in a small way it's a blessing she went as she did because it's often excrutiatingly difficult to have to be the one to "make the call" about when to help them cross over. She is in a good place now where she is free to run and play and no trips to the Vet. Again, I am so sorry.

staceyloobug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so so sorry for your loss, Ralph.

I lost a cat in an extremely similar way. She started to have problems breathing, and we rushed her to the emergency vet, but she died on the way. It's so painful, and I'm so sorry for your loss.

Some cats go their whole lives not knowing love. She was very lucky to have you, and if your love alone could have kept her alive, she would still be here. I hope you find peace in that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ralphb97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so glad that I got too pet her and tell her I love her, before she left us.

okie89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I'm so sorry for your loss... Kara is in a better place, now.

I'll be sure to tell all my kitties that are up there to show her all around heaven......
Don't worry, they'll take good care of her.

Stay strong.

Okie

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss of Kara. She had a long blessed life. It is wonderful that you loved her so much and took such good care of her. May your memories bring you peace and comfort. Again, I am sorry. I know it hurts so much. Hugs and blessings to you. Kara, when you see that big yellow tabby who meows all the time and is so loving, his name is Speedboat.
He is 14 years old and he will be a good friend for you. Rest in peace. You were loved.

jonathank20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A cat's blood sugar level can definitely elevate when they're stressed (called "stress hyperglycemia); at the Vet, having bloodwork done, etc. So this should be considered. It's strange to me that your cat's blood sugar was 85 only a few days ago. If a cat is diabetic, even if not eating their blood sugar will be high. I would seriously want the blood sugar to be tested again before anyone claims your cat is diabetic and considers starting kitty on insulin. I had a diabetic cat for 6 yrs (I gave him insulin twice a day and tested his blood sugar at home with the same little meter that human diabetics use; some vet clinics use them too just for doing spot checks). I'd also double check with them that the IV fluid they were giving kitty didn't contain any dextrose (IV solutions often do); dextrose is a sugar.
I know that I'm a few years late to the conversation but from the perspective of an almost nutritionist, I do have some insight to offer in regards to This topic.

The following causes of heavy breathing are HRAVILY impacted by your cats diet;
Mucous in the lungs;
just like in people, if I can't has too low of a pH that is in the acidic range, its very very very likely that mucous will form in the lungs. I'm only 20 and I've had mucus in my lungs for as long as I can remember because I ate a predominantly carbohydrate diet. And not like they were good carbs eithRr (quinoua, lentils) but instead, lots and lots and lots of grilled cheese, pasta, and the likE.

Diabetes;
in both type 1 and type 2 diabetes, the problem while it is somewhat different, they both have to do with insulin sensitivity. If you're eating carbs to regularly then your body will become so used to insulin and either your body won't be able to absorb it anymore because it's built up a tolerance, or it can't produce it anymore because you run your reserve dry.

GRAINS are HUGE factor in this. what I can offer the readers here, and those who can pass on this information to other people, start buying your cat grain free food. Ideally, if there are any carbs in the food that you are buying, do make sure they are not green. In a perfect world if you had a lot of money or do you have a lot of money, do your best to buy your cat only meet and facts. Cats actually need so little carbohydrates with that said the sources of those carbohydrates need to be clean.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
The kitty from this thread passed away several years ago so this thread is going to be locked now.  

Status
Not open for further replies.