My cat’s bottom canine tooth is out of his mouth

Emrextraordinary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
4988AC2B-6D7F-442A-A7E7-2F8D224196E2.jpeg
Hello,
I have a six month british blue point, he was 1 month without a mum, tiny and weak when i adopted him. So i tried to take care of him carefully. Petted him with special vitamines, kitten food..etc, visited vet periodically for controls but he had a bit problematic days. He is healty, playful and social now but i realised one of his bottom canine teeth is growing out of his mouth through his nose nowadays. It was not like that before or not visible that clear. He seems fine for now but A few days later it can badly hurt his nose. His upper and bottom teeth are not parallel also, i realised today. Shared the pic of him with Vet and he said he might need an operation and got the teeth pulled out. But i am concerned that operation could be risky (narcosis) because he is 6 month. What are your opinions and advices ? Anyone had the same problem with his Cat ? Thank you. I attached pics of his teeth, is it a genetical problem ? Can he survive without canine teeth, could he have worse days with that kind of mouth problems ?

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Trust your Vet in this case. When their teeth are misaligned like that, it can cause problems with puncturing their skin, as you are already seeing. There are actually many cats out there who need to have ALL their teeth removed for one reason or another and believe it or not, they do just fine. Some of them even continue to eat dry food rather than wet food! Needing to have just one canine tooth removed should pose no health threat to your handsome little guy. (one of my guys has already had four teeth removed, and I'm sure will need more taken out in the future as he genetically has bad teeth :frown:)

The only issue with having teeth removed is that he wouldn't be able to defend himself as well in a fight, so make sure to neuter him and keep him from roaming freely outside. Also, don't declaw him or he'll really feel helpless. (not the only reason not to declaw, but just thought I'd mention it)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Did the vet mean that your baby needs to have teeth extracted when you say "operation"? If that is what he means, I completely agree, just not sure the word was being used in some obscure way that I was not getting. I deal only with ferals and strays and cannot tell you how many cats I have owned lost teeth as they aged, including canines. Because of their hard palate, they can eat dry food and treats if they really choose to. One of mine did have extraction of both canines at a young age and lived to be about 14 with no problems. The tooth cannot stay there as it will do damage and become very painful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emrextraordinary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies, yes vet said that probably they have to narcose him and extract the tooth out. But i m concerned about that he is 6 months, just getting stronger after problematic babyhood and narcose sounds scary to me because of that. But i have no other option i will bring him to vet tomorrow.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
One tooth extraction should not be a problem. I would say to wait, but one of the pics looks as if the tooth is not only growing but is also irritating the skin which could become an issue very quickly if you leave it there.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anesthesia is required for a tooth extraction. There are vets who advertise anesthesia-free dental procedures and such but there's no way any animal will stay still and not fight the vet even if just simply sedated :dunno: Most vets will do blood work prior to a surgical procedure to ensure that there are no underlying health issues that the anesthesia could affect, such as certain heart conditions.

Post-anesthesia, the cat will be groggy and unsteady on the feet but that is very common. The anesthesia will wear off in a day. Discourage the cat from climbing and jumping while still under the effects of anesthesia.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emrextraordinary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your replies again. We visited the vet today 2 days later that teeth will be pulled out. Vet said he would use the safest anesthesia injection type. Although i asked for gas type anesthesia he said there was no need for that. (Gas types have their own type of risks he said)

Nermeen Salem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello i have the same case with my 6 month old kitten but with both lower canine teeth. Some vets advised to be removed other advised to leave it as it is. I am worried because it is causing some injures on his upper lip and am worried how he will look alike without them. If you extracted ur kitten canine can you help me and tell me how he is dealing without it? How is he looking like now? Is everything okay with him? How was the surgery?