My cat's behavior has changed since being fixed

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My male cat, Butch, is almost 6 months old. I just had him fixed last Friday and since then his behavior has changed drastically. Before the surgery he was always running around the house, playing with his sister, constantly getting into things. He would always climb up on me and want to sit or lay on my shoulders. He was very affectionate and he purred all the time—whether he was playing, roaming around the house or sitting on my shoulder. He was also a big hog; he would eat his own food then move over and eat his sisters whenever I fed them wet cat food, and he was always eating at the kibble bowl all the time.

Now he doesn't do any of those things anymore. Whenever I pick him up he wants back down. He doesn't jump up on me anymore. He doesn't purr all the time like he used to. Even his appetite has changed—now he hardly eats at all and his sides look so thin. I took him back to the vets and explained all this. She checked him out and even gave him a couple shots (Penicillin, can't recall what the other one was). She said he was perfectly fine. His temp was normal and he was healing well and had no infection.

I've tried getting different food for him, but he's still not eating like he used. I wish I had never taken him to get fixed. He's just so different now it breaks my heart.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
to TCS!

It's highly unlikely that the neutering has changed his personality or habits, especially since it takes several weeks for the hormones to leave a cat's system. An infection or kittenhood illness is more probable. Since your vet has ruled that out, perhaps he's still a bit traumatized by the whole experience of being away from home/in a strange place.

You could try using a Feliway diffuser, but still keep a close eye on his health. :vibes::vibes::vibes: that he's back to normal ASAP.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the welcome. He is not touching the new dry food the vet recommended, so I drove all the way to the other side of town just to get the same kibble he was eating before (Kitten Chow). He started eating it right away. I also bought a couple different cans of wet food I'm going to try on him. It's my fault he's such a spoiled boy, lol.

I think you're right about the trauma, because Butch has always been kind of a "daddy's boy". He snuggles with me all the time, or he used to anyway. Now he only does it late at night when I'm sleeping. He still doesn't jump up on my shoulder like he used to, but I think it may be that he's mad at me for taking him to that horrible place. Hopefully he gets over it soon.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He isn't 'mad' at you, he is traumatised by that vet visit. It may take a couple of weeks before he is back to normal. Try offering yummy treats like tuna or meat baby food, he'll warm back up to you quickly. I, too, think he may have a touch of illness or infection. Every cat I have had neutered has bounced back within days, a lot shorter then the females. It sounds like he is warming to you, just offer lots of together time and put him on your lap often. Welcome to the site, and I hope everything turns out all right! All the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This evening I fed him some different wet food i know he likes (Sheba beef chunks) and he ate all of that and then ate his sisters. Praise God he may be all right after all. Now to see if he comes back to his house-tearing old self. He is cuddling more now :)