My cats are driving me crazy

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
(Side note: I still can't figure out how to post links to Amazon product pages on this forum. Whenever I do, the link redirects to another domain entirely [superoffers.com] and I can't figure out if this is just an issue on my end, like a DNS resolution error, or if it's what everyone else on TCS sees when they click my Amazon links.)
Do you have an example where you linked to an Amazon product page so someone besides yourself can take a look at what shows up when they link to it?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have an example where you linked to an Amazon product page so someone besides yourself can take a look at what shows up when they link to it?
My post in which I wrote this side note about Amazon links. I was trying to post a link to the Mack's earplugs on Amazon...

Mack's Ultra Soft Foam Earplugs, 50 Pair - 33dB Highest NRR, Comfortable Ear Plugs for Sleeping, Snoring, Travel, Concerts, Studying, Loud Noise, Work | Made in USA Amazon.com

The above is the full link that is copied when I click the "share" button on Amazon and then "copy," then paste in here. I often remove the superfluous text (text not part of the URL) contained in the copied link, but this time, above, I pasted everything.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The above is the full link that is copied when I click the "share" button on Amazon and then "copy," then paste in here. I often remove the superfluous text (text not part of the URL) contained in the copied link, but this time, above, I pasted everything.
One more post that is kind of a highjack to this thread. I clicked on the link above and it shows the product. When I insert links, I copy the URL that is displayed and then paste it, nothing to do with 'sharing'.

Sorry about this W Willowwombat .

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I clicked on the link above and it shows the product.
Okay, thanks for checking it out. Apparently I have nothing to worry about, and it's just on my end where the links don't work.

Anyway, sounds like Furballsmom Furballsmom also likes Mack's earplugs. I started using them when I lived next to a neighbor who had a baby after I moved in, and the baby was a LOUD one. The plugs really did drown out the high-pitched screaming, which is why I thought they might work here.

This is of course not a solution for the cats' behavioral issues, but if W Willowwombat can start getting a little more sleep, it might be easier to deal with the rest. I know how disruptive insomnia can be.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another idea is a white noise machine, a box fan works nicely. If I don't have one running when I go to bed, I lay there as tense as can be because I'm basically just waiting for some noise to happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion but I do use those earplugs already -- they are by far the most comfortable. However, they are no match for my girl.

I think I'll have to get going on a catio sooner than anticipated. I spent some time today looking for a likely spot and I think the small sliding window in my dining area would be perfect to fit a cat flap and attach a small catio enclosure, maybe 4 by 6 by 6 feet with some climbing spots and a door. I just need to find someone who knows what they're doing to build it. I'm already looking for a competent handyman.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion but I do use those earplugs already -- they are by far the most comfortable. However, they are no match for my girl.

I think I'll have to get going on a catio sooner than anticipated. I spent some time today looking for a likely spot and I think the small sliding window in my dining area would be perfect to fit a cat flap and attach a small catio enclosure, maybe 4 by 6 by 6 feet with some climbing spots and a door. I just need to find someone who knows what they're doing to build it. I'm already looking for a competent handyman.
If you're on nextdoor in your area, ask about finding a handy man. There are tons of recommendations in my area, and we're a very small town. I'm sure you can find someone who would be able to use some materials to make a small catio. Remember, if you want in the future, they are very easy to expand. Just make sure they secure it to the house so the cats can't get too curious and manage to move the catio away from the house and slip out.

Fergusboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dude is 11? He may have hyperthyroid disease. My cat had it and he drove me insane with his meowing. He would not stop no matter what. Meds helped a lot. Or he could benefit from taking kitty prozac (fluoxetine) for anxiety.

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had him tested twice and was told his thyroid is fine. I don't believe it. Since I've moved to a new town I'll get him tested again.

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've been through thyroid issues myself and went undiagnosed for decades because my test results in my 20's were all around a TSH of 5-7, which was considered normal back then. It wasn't until my TSH hit over 100 when I was 39 that somebody finally clued in. Dude maybe in that category.

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, things got worse today. Dude ran out when I opened the door. He hung around in the garden for a couple of hours but would not come in. Now he's just gone.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, things got worse today. Dude ran out when I opened the door. He hung around in the garden for a couple of hours but would not come in. Now he's just gone.
I'm sorry! I'm hoping that he hasn't gone far, because he spent so much time hanging around the garden before going anywhere. Maybe he just spotted something to chase?

I don't have any experience looking for a lost cat, but I always see people suggesting to leave food and familiar things with familiar smells out.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My post in which I wrote this side note about Amazon links. I was trying to post a link to the Mack's earplugs on Amazon...

Mack's Ultra Soft Foam Earplugs, 50 Pair - 33dB Highest NRR, Comfortable Ear Plugs for Sleeping, Snoring, Travel, Concerts, Studying, Loud Noise, Work | Made in USA Amazon.com

Idk if this is the problem you have but I can't share from my amazon app on my phone where i do my ordering.. if i try to share the link from the amazon app it posts some random page nothing to do with anything.
I have to do it from the internet. If this is the problem you are encountering I hope this helps.

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been out calling him all afternoon. If he got scared he would just hide.

This is truly the last thing I needed.

EDIT: The little guy showed up at the door. And now he wants to go back out again. I guess he knows where he lives, at any rate. But keeping him in is going to be tough now that he's had his grand adventure.

Last edited:

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So now the little twerp is pounding on the door and meowing to go back out, even worse than before.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try upping his play. I recommend Jackson galaxy boil and simmer technique
Here is a link with some play technique videos.. I love the boil and simmer technique. I hope these help.

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, it's not play. I'm not kidding, He starts to pace and meow EVERY THREE SECONDS as soon as I get up and he does it all day -- ALL DAY -- until I go to bed. I can't think. Playing with him for half and hour buys me no more then 5 minutes of peace and quiet. IT'S NOT MY FAULT so please don't blame me.

And it's having a horrible effect on my other cat. She just lies in a heap on my bedroom and won't come out. This not normal. It isn't about play or not play. There is something horribly wrong.

You know how cats are supposed to sleep 18 hours a day? I don't think he ever sleeps.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it's not play.
IT'S NOT MY FAULT so please don't blame me.
Increasing playtime is a very basic suggestion that will always come up when anybody is asking about how to calm an anxious/agitated cat. Increasing playtime, improvong environmental stimulation/enrichment, and establishing routines are the most fundamental suggestions for dealing with such problems. Maybe these things apply to your situation, maybe they don't, but you shouldn't get defensive over these suggestions.

It isn't about play or not play. There is something horribly wrong.
Then he needs to go to the vet, because I don't know what else anybody can tell you. Look into a medical problem being the cause.