My cat won't use her litter box.

risaxrened

Larissa
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my second cat, Jolene, since she was three months old (she's currently eight months old). I have always had a separate litter box for my first cat, Olive, yet Jolene always refuses to use hers. I've tried putting her in the litter box after she eats, and even giving her a treat when I sit her in it. I have no idea what to do to help her learn. Can someone help me?

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is she using a litter box just not the one you want her to use? Cats can have a preference for location, want to cover another cat’s scent, etc. are both cats using a litter box?

VintageLahni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*Try other kinds of litter like pine pallets or cystals..
*And also, it's always better to have enough litter boxes in the house when there are multi cats.
N(number of cats) + 1 is recommended.
*Put all the litter boxes in different places :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

risaxrened

Larissa
Kitten
Purraise
Is she using a litter box just not the one you want her to use? Cats can have a preference for location, want to cover another cat’s scent, etc. are both cats using a litter box?
She doesn't use any of the litter boxes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

risaxrened

Larissa
Kitten
Purraise
*Try other kinds of litter like pine pallets or cystals..
*And also, it's always better to have enough litter boxes in the house when there are multi cats.
N(number of cats) + 1 is recommended.
*Put all the litter boxes in different places :)
I've tried clay and corn, and the older cat is fine with using either. I will look into the other types of litter, though.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Where does Jolene go if she is not using any litter box? The answer to that could help immensely in trying to figure out a resolution. If she is going on carpeting, or blankets, etc., you can try using puppy pee pads on the floor where she is going. If you can get her to use the pads, then you can place a pad in the lid of a good sized cardboard box, and then afterward gradually add a bit of litter over the pad. Once you've accomplished that, you can graduate her to a low sided litter box, and perhaps eventually move her to a litter box of your choice.

The other key is to use enzymatic cleaners where ever she is currently going to remove the smell of urine/feces - if she can smell it, it encourages her to continue to use those same areas over and over again.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take a look through these for troubleshooting: