My cat won't stop itching his eye and face-please help???

andrea28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone know how to prevent cat from itching his face? I have taken him to vet 10+ times and nothing is working and he manages to get his cone off all the time. He is on antibacterial cream and prednisone right now? But he won't stop scratching-please help??

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, what does the vet say is going on?  Have you taken him to a different vet for a second opinion?  Have you tried a daily antihistamine?  Also, what are you feeding him?  Have you tried a strict diet (no grains, high protein) or a diet for kitties with allergies?

As for the cone, you can try a soft collar or even a paper plate.  Just cut a big X in the middle of the paper plate and fold back the flaps so that it fits over your cat's head.  You can then cut off the flaps once you determine the size.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andrea28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
it started as some sort of neurological or CNS problem where he was completely lethargic and then he could only walk in circles and his head was tilted to his left side and i had to feed him and give him drinks with a syringe and help him into the litter box for about a month and all that went away and now all he does is scratch his eye-I think when it scabs up and starts healing it gets itchy so he keeps ripping it open. Went and bought a collar and tied it to his cone today because he kept getting the cone off and I put it on pretty tight and duct taped it-hopefully this works and he hasn't done to much damage. i have him on antibiotic ointment, antibiotics and prednisone. I have owned a lot of cats and have never had something like this happen. Just looking for ideas-maybe someone out there has had this happen and know how to fix it.

He will only eat canned cat food and drink half and half -so I mix it with water. The vet first thought distemper but then an inner ear infection.

nightwriter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he still walking in circles? This is purely anecdotal but one of the cat owner friends I have, had a cat that would only go in circles and it turns out the cat had very high blood pressure and his ear drums had ruptured/were going to rupture.

As I said, this is only anecdotal. My friend only mentioned it as my cat is currently shaking her head and scratching bald spots under her ears.

andrea28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank-you for the reply:) so what did your friend do to help their kitty??
-my vet will take any opinions-he loves animals but is unsure what is going on.

andrea28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He doesn't walk in circles anymore-but his left side of his head seems to bother him!

nightwriter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know that his vet checked his cat's blood pressure and discovered the high level. I think it was then managed by medication

achievedvictory

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have dealt with unexplainable itching of the face and unexplained bumps for well over a year with my cat. I have her on raw meat (goat!) now, but that wasn't the issue. I figured it out because I squished a gnat on the wall and it had blood in it. Her symptoms sounded like a severe mosquito allergy with the"millet" sized and other random bumps. It was me vs. The Scab for many months. I sat home depressed and battled on until this glorious breakthrough. She is out of the woods finally, albeit scarred for life. I got rid of every single gnat and the mysterious bumps around her eyes and ears are gone. No more cap. No more vet. No more random trial and error. Just wanted to post that. Apparently there is such a thing as gnats secretly terrorizing cats.
I know that his vet checked his cat's blood pressure and discovered the high level. I think it was then managed by medication

achievedvictory

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This multilayer ridiculous looking getup is the only way we got through the healing process. I made a little cat shirt with a sweater sleeve with numerous holes cut into it so I could attach the collar onto something more humane than the string, which she can get off somehow given enough time. Then I had a sweater type headband and a scarf to make it bulky enough she can't rub the cap to her face. It's about bulk not tightness. Hope this helps someone.

BenjiAndMayasMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone know how to prevent cat from itching his face? I have taken him to vet 10+ times and nothing is working and he manages to get his cone off all the time. He is on antibacterial cream and prednisone right now? But he won't stop scratching-please help??
I know this isn’t necessarily relevant anymore but I just had the same problem and if the bet was open at this hour I would’ve taken Benji straight in for help. But unfortunately it’s after hours and after begging and pleading with Benji to stop rubbing his eye (obviously I was at my wits end at this point) I tried putting plasters around the paw he kept using to rub his eye. He obvs started to bite at it and it was coming off in bits. So now I’m worried he eats the bits of plaster (but at least he’s now distracted from his eye!!) so I took clear gift wrapping tape and gently wrapped that around the plaster (no grip for him to chew it off) - just make sure you aren’t cutting off any circulation. It doesn’t have to be tight- but THANK GOODNESS IT WORKED!! He’s asleep now and I’ll get him to the vet tomorrow to treat his poor eye.
I hope this helps someone who might find themselves at the point of absolute desperation and hopelessness as I was earlier!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! This is a very old thread and those who posted have not been back in years. Please take your cat to the vet as you said that you plan to do. If he is scratching that intently he needs medical care. Watch that he does not ingest the bandages as well.