My Cat won't play when the other is around

tracyi838

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two tabbies, both sisters, that are around 1 1/2 years old. Sookie has always been super active and to this day will play with anything and everything. Her sister, Pumpkin, has become quiet the challenge. She is very particular about her toys often won't play unless I am engaged with her. Then if Sookie jumps in, which she always does, Pumpkin will walk away. I've tried laser toys, feather toys, cat nip, you name it. I forgot to mention that Pumpkin will tell me when she is ready to play. She will sit on the coffee table and meow at me until she has my attention, even then she will walk away if Sookie jumps in to play. Does anyone have any suggestions? And no, I can't leave one in a room while the other plays. I have a very small apartment and I don't have a way to separate them.

On another note, they are the best of friends. This is the only behavior problem that I see between the two of them.

Thanks!

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My 2 are the same way.  I've never found a way to really change that.  Noodles is the alpha in our house in all ways except when it comes to laying in my lap. 

Over time I've found that Mooch really likes chasing milk rings that I flick off the counter for her. Noodles will let her have that game.  It's especially fun in the bathroom if I flick them into the tub.  At our old house we kept a huge stash of them in the bathroom just for that.  As far as laser pointers, da bird, etc...it's all Noodles.  Mooch will play a very little bit; but mostly just watch. 

I'm guessing Sookie is the alpha in your home too.  Not sure what to suggest to help Pumpkin get some play time in.   :eek:\

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tracyi838

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I keep trying new things. Tonight I covered her with a blanket on the floor and then she would stealth hunt some toys. It worked for a while:) Good to know other cats act like this. 

stuber2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two brothers act kinda like this as well.  Felix will play with anything, Sylvester just doesn't play as much.  But if I cover him in a towel, he thinks he's invisible, and will play with anything that comes by that towel.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats act the same way. I got Memphis when he was 1 1/2, and a month later got Tails as an 8 week old kitten. Tails was so rambunctious, Memphis didn't play with me a lick for well over a month. I was really worried and actually came on here and asked the same questions you're asking. Unfortunately, the advice I got was similar and boiled down to the more playful cat will always gets more playtime.

I have something that works pretty well in my apartment now. I have found if I can associate one toy with Memphis, then Tails pretty much knows when I grab that toy from my closet that it's time for Memphis to play. He will almost sprint out of my bedroom when he hears me grab the toy from my closet, 100% of the time. It took a while to train him, and I had to figure out Mephis' favorite toy (I wasn't about to go through all this trouble with Tails if Memphis was going to get bored in a week), but I was vigilent in never playing with Tails with that toy and he eventually learned to not get worked up when I brought out Memphis' toy. Problem solved here.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Same with my cats, though I've noticed Monet's getting a bit more involved when it comes to playing with da Bird.

I think he feels intimidated by Cassie who runs and jumps everywhere, and sometimes jumps ON Monet.. and when that happens, Monet is out of the room.