My cat won't pee in the litter box anymore!

westcoastkatz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hanem what ever happened? My 12 year old cat just started doing this and it's driving me insane!

Nothing in our life or routine has changed but she's decided to pee between my appliances in the kitchen.

PLEASE NOTE: She is healthy, no UTI's or kidney issues or diabetes. I have been through all of those with other cats, this is completely different. I've tried changing the litter, keeping it clean and sectioning the box off so the dog can't go near her.

Would love to know what works

Last edited by a moderator:

wisevicki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is four years old and I had a dog that was 10 years old that just passed away. Than I start noticing the cat might've had a UTI took her to the vet she got medicine for that now she's peeing on the carpet but not in her litter box she is pooping in her litter box but I cannot get her to P in it.. And she also is crying around the house like she's in heat, she has been fixed. Could she be stressed out cause the dog passed?
Please help
Thanks Vicki

heidit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
​I have been dealing with this same issue for almost a year now. I just had to throw out my couch and the other one is going out also as soon as I can find something for us all to sit on. If I was you, I would not judge people on here. Most of us are at the breaking point.

mybabies59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The poster is just frustrated, and instead of condemning them, lets try and help them. Its an awful issue to have. So stressful for them

werecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an eight year old that that has become quite the problem cat. She is spayed, healthy and affectionate. I have over 20 years of cat ownership experience. The problem is urinating outside the box, and only in the family room. Yet she always poops in the litter box. This started a few months ago when we could smell cat pee but wasn't sure where it was from. Then we caught her peeing right under the dining room table. I took her to the vet the following Monday and they said nothing was wrong with her. I cleaned every stain I could find got two additional litter boxes, one of those pheromone diffusers and the problem has only gotten worse.

Recently I had the carpet professionally cleaned to remove pet stains which cost hundreds of dollars. Then last night I stayed up almost all night to watch the cat, she started sniffing around her favorite pee spots, every time I would pick her up and put her in a litter box (all of them clean). She would never use it. After about five rounds of this she started standing next to the front door. I let her out. We live in a condo so she was just out in the hallway. Which is carpeted and it is easy to get outside into the grounds. She just stayed next to the front door.  I check on her in two hours and she is still by the door. She wants to come in. Immediately she starts sniffing around where she tends to pee. I put her in the litter box again! Then maybe fifteen minutes later when I’m not paying attention she pees on the carpet! I spot her mid-stream and she darts out of the room knowing she is deep trouble.

I’m at my wits end; I cannot tolerate living in a house that smells like cat piss, and this cat is so suborn she would rather pee on my family room carpet instead of outside or the box! I would have considered the hallway carpet a small victory. I think my choices left are, keep her in a cage with a litter box, Give her away (if I can find any takers), turn her into the animal shelter, or euthanasia.  We are very strongly considering the last option.

Anyone have any ideas beyond these?

werecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an eight year old that that has become quite the problem cat. She is spayed, healthy and affectionate. I have over 20 years of cat ownership experience. The problem is urinating outside the box, and only in the family room. Yet she always poops in the litter box. This started a few months ago when we could smell cat pee but wasn't sure where it was from. Then we caught her peeing right under the dining room table. I took her to the vet the following Monday and they said nothing was wrong with her. I cleaned every stain I could find got two additional litter boxes, one of those pheromone diffusers and the problem has only gotten worse.

Recently I had the carpet professionally cleaned to remove pet stains which cost hundreds of dollars. Then last night I stayed up almost all night to watch the cat, she started sniffing around her favorite pee spots, every time I would pick her up and put her in a litter box (all of them clean). She would never use it. After about five rounds of this she started standing next to the front door. I let her out. We live in a condo so she was just out in the hallway. Which is carpeted and it is easy to get outside into the grounds. She just stayed next to the front door.  I check on her in two hours and she is still by the door. She wants to come in. Immediately she starts sniffing around where she tends to pee. I put her in the litter box again! Then maybe fifteen minutes later when I’m not paying attention she pees on the carpet! I spot her mid-stream and she darts out of the room knowing she is deep trouble.

I’m at my wits end; I cannot tolerate living in a house that smells like cat piss, and this cat is so suborn she would rather pee on my family room carpet instead of outside or the box! I would have considered the hallway carpet a small victory. I think my choices left are, keep her in a cage with a litter box, Give her away (if I can find any takers), turn her into the animal shelter, or euthanasia.  We are very strongly considering the last option.

Please, please do not euthanize a healthy, loving cat for a problem. Re-home if needed!!! First, Your cat is trying to tell you SOMETHING IS WRONG. What did your vet check for. When they saw your cat? what changed if anything, at the time your cat began behaving this way. Have you tried other kinds of litter. Have you put training pads over the places where it pees?
Secondly, and even more importantly, What food are you feeding- if your cat has a bladder infection or kidney infection and it hurts to pee, maybe its associating the pain with the litter box. Dry food is notorious for causing dehydration and bladder/kidney infections as I'm sure you know. How much water is your cat drinking.

werecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
H

werecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, sorry you're having such grief. PLEASE do not euthanize an animal for a problem that still needs an answer. I think your cat is trying to tell you SOMETHING IS WRONG. it sounds a lot like a bladder infection, cats associate the pain of peeing with the litter box, and avoid it-thats why they'll poop but not pee there. If your vet hasn't done blood and urine tests, start there. You HAVE TO medically rule it out. Is your cat stressed out from anything? any lifestyle changes? New people or other animals around? food changes? new barking dog next door etc. Other possibilities:does your cat feel safe? What about litter choice, depth of cat litter, closed vs open cat box, is your cat de-clawed? And... What kind of food do you feed? Dry of course is notorious for promoting dehydration and bladder/kidney problems that will NOT resolve without treatment. AND Finally consult with a cat behaviorist if all else fails. check with your vet , they can prescribe medication for stress. Don't give up- your cat loves you and doesn't like this anymore than you do. Hang in there.
Lastly, are you using enzymatic odor and stain removers on your carpet? I clean with 'Out', the a of dawn dish soap and baking soda, let it sit for a hour, scrub it gently, and sponge it up with paper towels and water until its gone- it helps clean odor and stain away- a lot! - you can put the paste on bare floors, let it dry and spritz with peroxide. Give it a minute or two and wipe it up- it really works! Hope you're both happier soon! Good Luck.