My cat won't eat hairball preparations

hermoine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I have a long hair (on belly and tail) cat that won't let me brush him and he won't eat the hairbal meds I have gotten.  Then he throws up all over the house.  Hairballs, food and bile.  It is bad enough on the vinyl floor but he gets my bedroom carpet also.  What else can I try? I am at my wits end.  HELP!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hermoine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tried that.  He leaves it if I put it in wet food.  If I put it on his paws, he shakes it off or leaves it around the house.  He won't lick it off. I told you, he is the Cat from Hell.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 tablespoon of pure pumpkin split between three canned meals a day, every day. It's a 'miracle cure'. :)

You might have to start with tiny amounts, to get kitty used to the taste of it in the food. Gradually work up to the one full tablespoon, but not all in one meal, most effective in three meals a day.

Freeze 1 tablespoon size servings in ice cube trays. When the servings are frozen remove them from the trays and store them in a freezer bag, in the freezer. Take one serving out every night, stored in a little glass jar in the refrigerator, for the next day. Add 1/3 of the serving to a small serving of canned food (I serve canned meals in .75 ounce servings), blend well, then place the dish in another dish of hot water, to warm it slightly before feeding, do that for three meals.

For instance Mazy gets 7 canned meals a day of .75 ounces per meal. Her second, fourth and sixth meal of the day has 1/3 tablespoon of pumpkin. Mazy has been to the emergency vet for impacted hairballs, and had had to take hairball remedy every other day for all her 7 years of life, until I started the pumpkin. Now she takes NO hair ball gunk at all, ever.

Canned diet is important, also. A properly hydrated cat makes a big difference :)

He is not the cat from hell. He just doesn't appreciate being forced to ingest something he thinks is disgusting. I've met only one cat in my long life with cats who likes the stuff.

Last edited: