My cat with IBD has been vomiting hairballs frequently and I'm getting concerned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytabby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Meow mphscat!
It seems we are in the same boat! I also brush Tabby every day, and I elevated her food bowl!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How do you and how high do you elevate Rube’s food bowl? I don’t want to change her ceramic plates. So I bought the acrylic display riser at Amazon, and put her dish on the riser. It’s 6 inch high. 

:crackup: I'm sorry, I just had to comment. I have several perspex risers for jewellery display purposes at craft fairs. I'd never in a million years have thought of such a novel use for them. Brilliant :D

mommytabby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Columbine! 

It's a bit slippery, so I put a wet kitchen paper towel under the dish and also the riser. It works good so far! 

mphscat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is a brilliant idea! I hope Tabby likes the brush. It is the ONLY brush that in 10 years Rube has actually enjoyed. I bet I have 5-6 brushes that I've bought throughout the years and he has HATED every single one until this one.

I elevate his food on a glass storage container and it's probably 3 inches high. It seems to work for him and seems a comfortable position without him having his head/neck held at an uncomfortable level.

mommytabby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi mphscat,
I received the brush yesterday! Tabby doesn’t love the brush, but she tolerates it. She normally attacks the brush when I try to groom her, but she lets me groom her longer than usual! 

mphscat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
YAY!!!  I am so glad she tolerates it.  Are you finding that it gets off a ton of fur??

Rube will tell me he's getting fed up because he starts thumping his tail but he'll still let me keep on brushing him.  I actually got two of them so when he's in the "meatloaf" position, I can brush both sides at the same time.

Let me know how it goes with the new brush.  Maybe in time she'll actually start to like it!

mphscat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
MommyTabby, how are things going?  This has been a BRUTAL hair shedding season and Rube has thrown up several hairballs...about twice a week for 2-3 weeks.  Still not losing weight, however....very active and eats well.  Hopefully this shedding season will be over soon.  In the meantime, I'm considering Pepcid which is something my vet and I discussed at his last weigh in.  He said I could give it daily, then taper off to once every 3 days as needed.  I may start that tonight.

Let us know how things are going!

mommytabby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Meow mphscat and everyone!

Thanks for the message! I was thinking of posting an update! I took Tabby to the vet yesterday. The vet told me that Tabby is doing great, so I can lower the dose of Prednisolone!! YAY!! HAPPY dance!
She takes 0.25ml of the liquid form of Prednisolone once other day from today! 

Glad to hear that Rube is very active and eats well! Yeah, it’s a crazy hair shedding season. Sorry that Rube has thrown up several hairballs… Have you tried the FURminator brush? A few weeks ago, I bought the FURminator. Actually, I had the original model, but it didn’t work well with my cats, but that so many friends here TCS loves the brush, so I bought it  again. The new model is AMAZING!
  Like Rube, Tabby HATES to be brushed, but the FURminator can quickly remove excess fur from her, like less than a few minutes! If you haven’t used it, I highly recommended! 

About the Pepcid, also my cat’s vet suggested to take it. Tabby tried Pepcid dairy for two weeks. Over the course of these weeks, she vomited twice. Then she did off the Pepcid for two weeks, during the time she vomited only once. I brushed her a lot during the two weeks as well. So I guess Pepcid didn’t do much for her.

Tabby has been transitioning to the new diet; Nature's Variety Instinct Grain-Free Limited Ingredient Diet Rabbit Formula Canned food. I think the food works her well, and also it relieves constipation! 

Thank you for reading!

mommytabby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Columbine! 

Yesterday was the first day in a two and half month that Tabby didn’t take Prednisolone! I was a bit worried but, Tabby was doing great! YAY 

mommytabby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I’d like to give you an update on Tabby! She is doing really well!! No sign of IBD symptoms whatsoever!! She still takes a lower dose of Prednisolone, but my vet told me if she continued to do well, we can stop giving it her in March!! 

I just wanted to say BIG THANK YOU for your helpful advices and wishes for Tabby! Thank you so very much!!