My cat who used to be very affectionate is now peeing on ONLY my stuff

angusthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have had a cat for about 5 years and me and him have always been close. I last September I moved away to school but would return every few weeks. I heard that while I was away my cat went into mourning and would scream all night for me. When I would return home I would always make sure to show him love and he would perk up and instantly start to pur. I have moved back for the summer and now I am starting to have some issues. I live with 5 people in this house and 4 cats (we are getting rid of 2 in a few days) but never sprayed while I was away. As soon as I started to move my stuff back in the house within a matter of days he stared to spray. He no longer shows me affection like he did not more then a month ago and I have to make sure my door is always closed because if I dont I have to come home and do laundry cause everything smells like cat pee. Another cat had a UTI which caused him to pee on some clothes and maybe he has developed some territory issues however even though the cat has stopped he continues to pee on specifily my things. My parents want to get rid of him and the only thing that has changed lately is that I have moved back home. I dont want to get rid of him even if hes doing this to strictly me but we arn't sure what to do. I understand that cats dont understand spite or "getting back at" but emotional problems could cause this. We have had him checked for a UTI with no luck either.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like he's been very upset with "losing" you again and again as you come home and leave and come home and leave.  You are his favorite peron, and he' marking everything to do with you as HIS by peeing on it.  I had one Siamese who actually sprayed me in the back to mark me.  It was also territorial as I was in rescue and he hated it when I had kittens here.  I think I was bottle feeding a baby when he got up on the back of the couch, turned around and sprayed me in the back.  I didn't ee him, just felt this warm liquid penetrating through y clothes and running down my back.  I know of one other cat (a Siamese mix) who started peeing and pooping on his human's bed when she got back from vacation.  I suggested she get a Feliway diffuser to calm him in the bedroom, and keep him out of the bedroom for awhile and give him extra love and exercise with a toy like DaBird and the laser pointer, and that worked.  The problem didn't repeat after the next vacation, I gues he figured ut she would return?  Maybe the Advisors who usually handle the Behavior issues will be along soon to add some other advice about how to get him settled down and accept your comings and goings as a college student without feeling abandoned.

sandy b

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you asked your vet what to do? A friend of mine has this problem and her vet told her your cat is threatened by all the smells of other people as her cat was an in house cat in a  commercial shop. Her  vet told her he will not stop as he is older now and cannot be changed so... The vet told her to remove him from the downstairs filled with cloth items etc.  Keep him upstairs where there are only offices. Problem solved.  He was upset at first but adjusted as many of us went upstairs open to public but a sign telling, " Please keep door closed house cat lives upstairs."   That worked as the upstairs had the bathroom and people went in and out the upstairs so he had company all day off and on.  He never wet again upstairs except his litter box. Good luck and your vet should have an answer. Sometimes when a cat is upset the vet will give them a pill to calm them until they adjust.  My friends give their cats a Benedyrl, small dose directed by their vet to keep them calm when they are upset etc  car trips to the Vet etc.   I would not recommend this without your Vet as too much can put them to sleep forever. Good Luck and my prayers are with you as I know you love your cat. Sandy B