My cat what diagnosed today with FELINE INFECTIOUS ANEMIA :(!!!

bebe_tc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone my cat what diagnosed today with FELINE INFECTIOUS ANEMIA, I took her to the vet and they did every check up possible on her, she came out negative on feline leukemia and shes is doing fine as far as kidneys, now I don't understand that much about the infection since she is an indoor cat, is their anything I could do to help her to get better as far as food, any suggestions or any advice in what to do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bebe_tc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is being treated with doxycycline 100mg and pred oral  susp.10mg,but  I am also worried about my other cat getting this type of infection, they don't play with each other they have different personalities but still, I do have her in a different room just in case.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very good.

I'm wondering, are you having problems with fleas? Have you been checking for fleas? Do you by any chance have a dog that might be bringing them inside? Or perhaps visited friends who have a dog or cats that go outside and heir home is infested and brought some home? (That's how we ended up with fleas one year. What a nightmare that was......)

Hopefully your kitty will make a quick and full recovery. I'm sending you heartfelt best wishes for that. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah:

Did you discuss with the vet about potential modes of transmission - especially as she is an indoor-only cat?

"Infectious" means she was infected with - well, they changed the name of it, but it used to be hemobartonella. It's a microscopic parasite. Doxy should take care of it. But she does not have something she can pass to your other cat - unless she has fleas (or ticks, somehow :dk: ), in which case, you will want to check your other kitty too. :nod:

But basically it causes anemia. The antibiotics should kill the parasite, and that solves the problem. But you do need to see if you can figure out how she would have gotten it, and if fleas are a possibility, you need to ensure there are none left in your home. :nod:

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

bebe_tc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have any problems with fleas which make me wonder how she got sick but I'll be checking for them around the house just in case because my dogs don't have them either thanks for the info you posted ;) 

dalton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat recently had bloodowork done, low RBC (anemia) with atypical WBC. My vet said it may be indicative of lymphoma. Started him on the same medications, but prednisone is 5mg. I have a terrible time trying to get it in him. It's been going on now for days, sneezing, nose congestion, and most recently, he tries to meow but can't!! I have had him to the vet twice, and again this week to see if we can get nasal xrays..so very worried about my baby!

dalton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat recently had bloodowork done, low RBC (anemia) with atypical WBC. My vet said it may be indicative of lymphoma. Started him on the same medications, but prednisone is 5mg. I have a terrible time trying to get it in him. It's been going on now for days, sneezing, nose congestion, and most recently, he tries to meow but can't!! I have had him to the vet twice, and again this week to see if we can get nasal xrays..so very worried about my baby!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dalton, how hold is your kitty?

And the atypical WBC - was it high or low? Are they going to do any further diagnostics on your cat? Because they can do an xray to check for masses. If they find any, an ultrasound can be done to have a better look at it and determine if it's consistent with various types of cancer - and then they also know if it can be biopsied or not.

There are chemotherapy treatments for cats, and cats tolerate chemo FAR better than humans do. When treating cats with chemo, it's a very different goal and process than in people, and only about 15% of cats experience unpleasant side effects that aren't manageable with anti-nausea medication and an appetite stimulant.

Our cat has lymphoma (he has a mass in his stomach) and is doing very well with chemo. Of course, it depends upon finances, and prognosis. :heart3: Many peope opt not to do much to treat cancer. But you ought to at least know there are (potentially) options. :nod:

Last edited:

bebe_tc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think something bite my cat or she might have eating a small roach, we have does here but they are so hard to get rid off and whenever she finds one she like to play with them. I am still concern about I will ask my vet for more info

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please do talk to the vet. I don't think hemobart can be from eating something, the cat, I'm pretty sure, must be bitten by a carrier of the teeney parasite.

dalton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is around 15 years old. So, although, I would spend any amount of money to keep him alive, I have to be realistic. The lympocytes were atypical, and I think elevated. RBC's 24 percent last week. They did a xray, neck down..I know it's not an U/S, but she said it looked within normal range. His nasal congestion is a concern though..it seems like lately he has been licking his lips alot, with tounge coming out after eating. ? dryness..or just decreased salvia? Most recently swallowing alot, then the sneezing came on with a vengance last week, and now no meow! Could it be a bad dose of the cat flu??? Eating, drinking, using litter..

dalton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Couldn't do a nasal xray, as he needs to be sedated, and wanted to treat him first. Still congested after starting medications since Friday...

dalton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I sure hope so..but it does seem like he's restless and unable to get in a comfortable position tonight...I want him  to be with me forever, but I can't have him suffering. It hurts so much to see him sick!!