My Cat Went Missing

Educadoralisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We don't know what happened but my cat is not at home. We haven't seen him going out of the house but he's not here as we searched everything. We put some leaflets out and have been looking in sheds, under cars, gardens... everywhere we could think of. As he is an indoor cat I don't know if he will be able to find his way home. What else can I do to try finding him? I'm devastated

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry. How long has your cat been missing? You can try putting some of his used litter outside and some unwashed pieces so he may be able to recognize the scent of,home. You can also try a trap, baited with his favorite food. Also, if you have animal control or humane society in your area check with them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Educadoralisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He disappeared today but unsure when. We have been putting his food outside as he is a great eater.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Be sure you are leaving food inside as well and be sure to set out something delicious and stinky, like tuna juice. If a cat gets spooked and wants to hide indoors they can get up in furniture and tiny little places you can’t imagine. Sometimes they will come out at night for food and if none is eaten by tomorrow then you know he is outdoors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Educadoralisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Be sure you are leaving food inside as well and be sure to set out something delicious and stinky, like tuna juice. If a cat gets spooked and wants to hide indoors they can get up in furniture and tiny little places you can’t imagine. Sometimes they will come out at night for food and if none is eaten by tomorrow then you know he is outdoors.
I've got another cat and usually they are always together. The first thing I did when I noticed he was gone was trying with food but he didn't came. My flat is tiny and I looked everywhere when I couldn't see him.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you look inside the mattress springs? Go underneath the bed (also sofa and chairs) and see if the cloth covering is torn even a little bit. Cats like to hide in the 'cave' the furniture makes. It doesn't seem to bother them if you sleep in the bed above them or not.

If it is torn you may try using a flashlight, or turning the furniture or mattress springs on their side to look for him. Our hid in the springs so often, that we got rid of the bed frames and put the springs and mattress on the floor to prevent it.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i find a can of tuna lures back the explorers who get out.

btw, when looking there may be things you haven't thought of. for example, years ago, we lived in an older, refurbished place, and it turned out that the cabinets under the kitchen and bathrooms sinks had openings in the upper back big enough for a good sized cat to get through and under the house. also once our kitten, CK, ended up closed in a large drawer by a guest. you never know.

best of luck on finding your cat!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes, totally forgot - if any of the a/c heat vent covers are missing ( or there is a hole in the cold air intake cover) some kitties love to play in the duct work.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Indoor cats will usually stay within a few feet of the house. They can hide in the smallest and oddest places. Try right at dusk and dawn for the best chances. I usually recommend just sitting on your back porch,make noise and have smelly food nearby.

KATEJOHNSON

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry, one of my cats went missing last year and someone had ended up finding him and bringing him home 4 months later! He was an indoor cat and front declawed, I was sure he wouldn’t have survived that long on his own. Cats are savvy creatures! At the time he went missing, he and my other cat (his brother) had never been separated and were very close. Someone suggested to me to put my other cat in a carrier and take him out looking with me, so the missing brother would hear his cry and hopefully come out of hiding. ‍♀

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that. When Toffee and Fudge first started to venture outside, they were gone for a few hours and I was so panicked and worried that they might be missing, however fortunately they came back, so I can't begin to imagine how you must be feeling right now. If your cat isn't home by this evening or tomorrow morning, you could try putting up "missing" notices in your neighbourhood or post a search appeal on social media. When searching for your cat I'd bring a packet of treats or open packet/tin of cat food as that usually gets Toffee and Fudge coming inside after they've been outdoors. I hope your cat turns up soon.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope you have already found him and that he was inside!!! Feeby is an indoor only cat, and yet there have been numerous times she has found somewhere in the house to go where I can't find her. And, we don't have a huge house (1300 sq ft). She always manages to come out of wherever she's been when I am not looking, so I still to this day have no idea where it is that she goes as if she disappeared into thin air.

Let us know if you've found him yet.

meowpassion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I am so sorry. A few months ago a cat of my friend decided to live outdoor, and has not appeared at home yet. However a few neighbours have seen her near the house.