My Cat Wasn't Taken To Be Euthanized. He Was Left In A Forest. Please Advise.

atianthony260

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, sorry if I am posting in the wrong forum category but I need advice, really bad.
I had 2 cats and now 1 cat that is 3 years old. The 2 precious cats were Tippy and Dumbo. Tippy died on 22 Jan. of this year, aged only 9 months. I posted about him on thecatsite and I got massive support, thank you guys. On 16 April of this year, we took Dumbo to the veterinary. He couldn't eat at all because he had infection in his mouth. However, the vet not only noticed that he had mouth infection but that he also suffered from liver disease. I really don't know how we didn't notice his behavior before. It was all so sudden. And we only started taking our cats to this vet not long ago, he has over 20 years of experience. Anyway, the vet told us that we should euthanize Dumbo because he had a very low chance of survival. I was devastated and at the same time knew that we should euthanize him because I didn't want him to suffer like Tippy did. Dumbo was 1 year and 10 months old when this happened on Apr. 16. So we went home and then I started crying and my dad picked up Dumbo and put him in the carrier to take him to be euthanized. I didn't go with him because I was crying a lot and I just couldn't bare to see him being euthanized. Anyway my dad left with Dumbo and then came back. For some reason, I really doubted that my dad actually took Dumbo to the vet to euthanize him. I don't really know why, it was just a gut feeling. My dad was kind of worried that he might suffer from euthanasia and even asked the vet if it would hurt (of course not). So for 2 days I kept asking him if he did take Dumbo to the vet and he would say yes. Fast forward to now, four months after the tragedy. I ask him again, because I never really forgot about Dumbo, and this time I really pressured him. He finally spit the truth: he left Dumbo in a forest far from our house. This just broke my heart. The thought that he left him there alone, to starve to death maybe, or be chased by dogs, or simply die from his liver disease, absolutely broke my heart. So, I come to this forum again: what do you think, could he still be alive? Please advise me on what to do. Should I tell my dad to look for Dumbo? I tried this but he went mad and said no. Should I pressure him again? Could Dumbo still be roaming? Thing is if he is still alive he could be anywhere. The forest is not big and it's surrounded by a lot of houses/buildings and roads etc. I know that the easiest thing that can be done is hang papers but unfortunately I live in Lebanon and not all people here are friendly when it comes to pets (including my dad). We have animal rights organizations called BETA and there's Animals Lebanon but they run on a really low budget and for me to ask them to help find Dumbo is going to be hard because I just don't know whether he could still be alive or not. After this my parents told me that I should just let it go but I just can't. I mean it's like hearing that your loved one was resurrected. Sorry for the long post. Thanks :vancat:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that's so sad! I am sorry you have to deal with this, that is so wrong and unfair of your dad. Have you ever seen Homeward Bound? Or read the book? They say pets can find their way home over long distances. But also maybe someone else found him and took him home. Can you go to the neighborhood and look around or call for him or put up a couple fliers with his picture?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Healthy animals can certainly find their way home, every over hundreds of miles. It doesn't sound like Dumbo was very healthy though, so his chances of survival were not very good, unless he wandered out of that small forest to someone's house who felt sorry for him and took him in and helped him. It's very possible someone nice, like you A atianthony260 , helped him and took him to a Vet for care. I'm sure not everyone in that area dislikes cats, and it IS possible Dumbo is living with a cat lover now and is quite healthy by now. Was he microchipped in case he was ever lost? If not, then no one would ever know he actually belonged to you, OR they might have contacted your parents and they never told you :frown:.

I would try to hold on to the thought that he was rescued by someone and is now living a happy and healthy life with them :hugs:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I too would hold on to the thought of happiness for your cat. You don't know that it was a happy ending, but you also don't know if it was a bad ending.
The better choice is for sunshine and comfort.
Maybe try something different next time, if you can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

atianthony260

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow that's so sad! I am sorry you have to deal with this, that is so wrong and unfair of your dad. Have you ever seen Homeward Bound? Or read the book? They say pets can find their way home over long distances. But also maybe someone else found him and took him home. Can you go to the neighborhood and look around or call for him or put up a couple fliers with his picture?
Thank you Jen and it's such a long distance from here ;( I really do hope that he comes back though. I don't really think that anyone would take him to be honest. Thing is in Lebanon it's not uncommon to find stray cats. Actually there are a lot unfortunately, that's how we found Tippy. I will be pressuring my parents to take me to look in the area though. I hope that he's okay :/
Healthy animals can certainly find their way home, every over hundreds of miles. It doesn't sound like Dumbo was very healthy though, so his chances of survival were not very good, unless he wandered out of that small forest to someone's house who felt sorry for him and took him in and helped him. It's very possible someone nice, like you A atianthony260 , helped him and took him to a Vet for care. I'm sure not everyone in that area dislikes cats, and it IS possible Dumbo is living with a cat lover now and is quite healthy by now. Was he microchipped in case he was ever lost? If not, then no one would ever know he actually belonged to you, OR they might have contacted your parents and they never told you :frown:.

I would try to hold on to the thought that he was rescued by someone and is now living a happy and healthy life with them :hugs:
Hi mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens thanks for this lovely post. Yes unfortunately Dumbo was suffering from liver disease and this is why I am worried that he might have died. Sadly he wasn't microchipped. I hope that he was found by someone who helped him, I really do. The thought of him being alone and starving just makes me depressed. :( :hugs:
I too would hold on to the thought of happiness for your cat. You don't know that it was a happy ending, but you also don't know if it was a bad ending.
The better choice is for sunshine and comfort.
Maybe try something different next time, if you can.
Thank you Furballsmom Furballsmom and I will do my best

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that your dad did this! Is it safe for him to take you to the woods to look? Does he remember the exact spot? I would be afraid of wild animals, but I think I would still make him take me to look, if it were me. :(

atianthony260

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry that your dad did this! Is it safe for him to take you to the woods to look? Does he remember the exact spot? I would be afraid of wild animals, but I think I would still make him take me to look, if it were me. :(
Hi M maggiedemi and I will try to ask him when he gets back from work. We had a fight yesterday and I don't think that there are any wild animals there except for stray dogs maybe (hope not). I just hope that Dumbo is alive and well

atianthony260

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys thank you for the support that you all gave me. Your posts have cheered me up so much ever since I realized what my horrible father did. We still didn't go there because I have not been talking to him and he is a very mean person. I didn't say why he didn't get him to the vet in my original post but it's because he wanted to 'save money'. Yeah, this is what I have to deal with. A monster. Then he covers his awful mistake by saying "Dumbo could have lived so abandoning him was a good thing" even though he knows very well that Dumbo has liver disease and may not have made it. If Dumbo ever comes back I swear that I will sell my PS4 to get him treated so I don't have to hear my father's nagging. Anyway I am not giving up on Dumbo and soonest opportunity I will go to the area maybe with my mom to look there. I just want him to be okay :bawling:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This just makes me sad.
Hopefully your father some day realizes that this was not a cool thing to do, at all, not to save money especially. If it was driven by nothing but money, I certainly hope that in the next decades, before he reaches the stage of being an old man, he'll realize this might have taught you that the old or sick (the "weak") are disposable and when he needs your help and care in his aging years, he'll remember that lesson. And hopefully be big enough to say he's sorry, to your face, some day before that happens.