My Cat Was Lost Yesterday

NeonAndLassy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Greetings,

My cat was lost yesterday in a freak accident. Without going into too much detail, it happened next to the vet's and it involved my husband falling down and the carrier breaking and my cat freaking out and running off. We are doing all we can to find him, posters, flyers,online posts and our vet has done the same thing and other family and friends. She is 18 months old, chipped, spayed but strictly an indoor cat. It happened in an Urban area in Southern California.

My question is, how long can she survive on her own before she is found, if any?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
There are some tips that might help you find your cat here.

Tips for finding a lost cat

I think that an indoor only cat in a strange area will just hunker down and hide for the first few days. It might be a good idea to get a pet detective with a sniffer dog to help you now, before your cat moves further off.

Two of my girls were gone for 6 weeks and managed to survive. Good luck, hope she stays put and you find her soon.

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
NeonandLassy - My heart goes out to you. :bawling: I saw your post and was like "oh no" - how awful! Being she was lost in an Urban area, hopefully maybe someone will see her and feed her and/or take her in temporarily before taking her to the nearest shelter? I would check the closest rescue shelter to see if anyone brought her in. I know she's "chipped" but I'd proactively contact the shelters every day anyways.

fwiw - at least you're in So. Cal where it's warm and your kitty has a better chance of hunkering down somewhere without freezing this time of the year. Where I'm at it is 1 degree without the windchill. I'm just trying to look on the positive side. I hope and pray you are able to find her.

They say lost cats usually are found in the vicinity where they got lost. What about even going back to the vet's office and scouring the area shaking a bag of her favorite treats while you call her?

My Dad's cat got out of his house once and was gone for one week and he desperately tried to find her. Eventually, she showed back up one week later.:sunshine:

Again, my heart goes out to you. Please keep us posted. ((HUG)) :grouphug:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In your part of the county, in an urban area, she has a good chance of surviving for quite some time on her own. Not easily, not happily, but she can survive. Lots of dumpsters and trash cans, lots of hiding places. Your girl has a good chance of coming home. Hang in there! Lighting a candle that she sees the New Year with her family!
000000000000000.jpg

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest you gob back to the area she was last seen frequently....especially at night.

Take a jar of her treats, rattle the jar and LISTEN, LISTEN LISTEN. Walk the area, call her and listen. At night its quieter, if she cries yiu have a better chance of hearing her than during the day. She may also be more likely to venture out at night and you may have a better chance of finding her.

Put up pictures, offer a reward, ask people to check their sheds, basements, storage areas.

She is chipped, and that may make a big difference.

But its important you search asap and frequently. Over time she may wander or be taken.

Im guessing in an urban area there will be fewer predators.