My cat was killed by 4 large dogs

cindy delgado

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Im not sure if Im in the correct section, but I just need to talk to people about what happened to my cat. About 3 nights ago one of my 3cats whom was accustomed to jump from the balcony of my 2nd floor apartment was brutally attacked and killed by 4 large dogs. My cats have always been indoor cats but this one had always managed to get outside from every apartment I have ever lived in. He was 15 years old. I originally had 5 cats, Mom, Dad and their 3 boys but Mom passed away 12/14/22 and Dad passed away 12/25/23. I always thought they too would die of old age but unfortunately he wasnt given the chance. He would usually be inside the house when I went to sleep about 11:00pm every night but he would jump out afterwards and when my husband whom works security would get home at 5:15am, he would be outside and come in with him. Monday morning when my husband got home, he was nowhere around. Then as the day passed and he still didnt show up I decided to check the footage from our cameras. And as I was scanning I saw an awful scene 4 large dogs huddled and I saw a blur of black and white. It was my precious PECO. I exclaimed to my husband I think PECO was killed by 4 large dogs. And in seconds one of them ran off with my PECO in his mouth. I wasnt even able to bury him. They killed him and took off with him. Just like that he was gone. I hate that his life ended this way. I hope he didnt suffer or hurt. But it was just horrific. I miss him so much and wish si badly to have him back. He jumped at about 3:36 and not a minute and a half after the 4 large dogs came running down the sidewalk scavenging. one of them first bit him from behind, I think it was his leg. He then fell from a 3 1/2 ft wall in front of the house and he couldnt move. they then came around and pounced on him and savagely shook him about until the one ran off with him. I am totally devastated

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so, so sorry. That truly is devastating.
Dogs that attacks and kill cats can be reported. No dog should be allowed to roam free without supervision (there are laws in many states/countries about this). Give the footage to an animal officer if you can.
I'm so sorry you had to see that. Know you gave Peco a wonderful and long life.
Prayers for you and the other kitties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cindy delgado

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so, so sorry. That truly is devastating.
Dogs that attacks and kill cats can be reported. No dog should be allowed to roam free without supervision (there are laws in many states/countries about this). Give the footage to an animal officer if you can.
I'm so sorry you had to see that. Know you gave Peco a wonderful and long life.
Prayers for you and the other kitties.
I live in Puerto Rico. And these dogs were street dogs. I also think that they have attacked and killed other cats because a lady on my facebook cat group said one of hers was killed a month ago in similar fashion also by 4 large dogs the same color. Thank you for your kind words. He was a happy cat and very attached to me. Makes it extra hard.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It is also a concern for young children if they are at large. What if they bite or kill a child? It is not just the cats at risk but the people too.

Not sure what the laws are like there but could you shoot or poison the dogs? Or at least have animal control round them up to be pts?

Last edited:

JamieN

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Im not sure if Im in the correct section, but I just need to talk to people about what happened to my cat. About 3 nights ago one of my 3cats whom was accustomed to jump from the balcony of my 2nd floor apartment was brutally attacked and killed by 4 large dogs. My cats have always been indoor cats but this one had always managed to get outside from every apartment I have ever lived in. He was 15 years old. I originally had 5 cats, Mom, Dad and their 3 boys but Mom passed away 12/14/22 and Dad passed away 12/25/23. I always thought they too would die of old age but unfortunately he wasnt given the chance. He would usually be inside the house when I went to sleep about 11:00pm every night but he would jump out afterwards and when my husband whom works security would get home at 5:15am, he would be outside and come in with him. Monday morning when my husband got home, he was nowhere around. Then as the day passed and he still didnt show up I decided to check the footage from our cameras. And as I was scanning I saw an awful scene 4 large dogs huddled and I saw a blur of black and white. It was my precious PECO. I exclaimed to my husband I think PECO was killed by 4 large dogs. And in seconds one of them ran off with my PECO in his mouth. I wasnt even able to bury him. They killed him and took off with him. Just like that he was gone. I hate that his life ended this way. I hope he didnt suffer or hurt. But it was just horrific. I miss him so much and wish si badly to have him back. He jumped at about 3:36 and not a minute and a half after the 4 large dogs came running down the sidewalk scavenging. one of them first bit him from behind, I think it was his leg. He then fell from a 3 1/2 ft wall in front of the house and he couldnt move. they then came around and pounced on him and savagely shook him about until the one ran off with him. I am totally devastated
Oh no. Im in tears. This is so terrible. Im so so sorry. I know what’s it’s like to love your cat as it’s your baby. I can’t imagine seeing that. Poor Peco. This is very tragic and I’m here if you want to talk. Again I’m so sorry. Can I ask what country do you live in? I agree with the other commenter. There are laws against dogs roaming free. Especially aggressive dogs. Depending on where you live maybe consider reporting it. I know it won’t bring back your Peco but it might save someone from being attacked. ❤

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentIe, Peco, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I am so very, very sorry. For whatever coId comfort it may bring, most attacks Iike this end very quickIy for the cat. Many times, aImost instantaneousIy. Between the first bite and being gone, onIy a moment of fear. As I said, it is coId comfort. What I do know, from your post, is that Peco Iived, breathed and had his being wrapped in your Iove. He knew he was Ioved, never doubted he was Ioved. NEVER forgot he was Ioved. This is the Deepest Truth I know, that love never dies, it is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. Now, from his home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, Peco blesses you, and he sends his Love back to walk beside you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always and forever, Love abides.

straycat31

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry for your loss. Your story brought me to tears. But we are here to support you so never be afraid to reach out. I sent something to you via message that a friend gave to me when I lost a pet. Hope it helps. In His grip.

cindy delgado

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rest you gentIe, Peco, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I am so very, very sorry. For whatever coId comfort it may bring, most attacks Iike this end very quickIy for the cat. Many times, aImost instantaneousIy. Between the first bite and being gone, onIy a moment of fear. As I said, it is coId comfort. What I do know, from your post, is that Peco Iived, breathed and had his being wrapped in your Iove. He knew he was Ioved, never doubted he was Ioved. NEVER forgot he was Ioved. This is the Deepest Truth I know, that love never dies, it is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. Now, from his home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, Peco blesses you, and he sends his Love back to walk beside you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always and forever, Love abides.
Thank you for your kind words. I do hope he did not suffer much and I know that he is always in my heart but because of your words I now feel he will always be along side me. ❤🌈🐾 Thank you.

cindy delgado

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is also a concern for young children if they are at large. What if they bite or kill a child? It is not just the cats at risk but the people too.

Not sure what the laws are like there but could you shoot or poison the dogs? Or at least have animal control round them up to be pts?
Thats what I thought also that the way I saw them, they were capable of attacking a child or person. My husband says if he ever sees them come around again, he wouldnt hesitate to shoot them.

cindy delgado

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh no. Im in tears. This is so terrible. Im so so sorry. I know what’s it’s like to love your cat as it’s your baby. I can’t imagine seeing that. Poor Peco. This is very tragic and I’m here if you want to talk. Again I’m so sorry. Can I ask what country do you live in? I agree with the other commenter. There are laws against dogs roaming free. Especially aggressive dogs. Depending on where you live maybe consider reporting it. I know it won’t bring back your Peco but it might save someone from being attacked. ❤
I live in Puerto Rico. These were street dogs. I dont think that a law exists. My husband says that if he sees them come around again, he will not hesitate to shoot them.

cindy delgado

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so very sorry for your loss. Your story brought me to tears. But we are here to support you so never be afraid to reach out. I sent something to you via message that a friend gave to me when I lost a pet. Hope it helps. In His grip.
Thank you for the article. I really appreciate it. And thank you for the support. ❤🌈🐾

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As you have the descriptions of the dogs who killed him, I would not hesitate at all to shoot them. When dogs start killing domesticated animals, and cats, they pull down pet dogs too, and they progress to small children. this has been documented many times. I would report it to yoru local law enforcement, so they have it documented an can look for the animals. We had a dog like that nearby where we used to live. after contacting the owner many times, AND the sheriff, we heard a shot in the middle of the night and that was that. He had lunged at a two-year-old child the day before and had mauled our neighbor's small dog causing 5000.00 dollars in vet bills.
My heart goes out to you, i know it is impossible right now, but PLEASE try not to keep those horrible images in your mind. I witnessed my beloved cat, Chrissy getting killed and I still suffer ten years later. The feelings of guilt that I should have been able to prevent it will be with me always.......Believe me, it only brings pain and torment to your soul. Try to keep busy, and lavish your love on your remaining little ones. (though at times I even resented mine for being alive and my Chrissy was not) I know your beloved Peco would never want to be the cause of so much pain for someone he loved so much. go forward into life and live it as you would have wanted for him to go on if you were the first to go. That is love. You gave him 15 years of what he wanted most in this life, a home and people to love him, and he died doing what he loved most, exploring his beautiful world. Keep those beautiful images of him happy and being part of your family, there are so many more of them than the images of his horrible death. He lives on through you now. Be gentle on yourself, give yourself time, and a lot of it, to come to terms with what happened. Time is the ONLY thing that helps in matters of the heart. It's NOBODY'S fault except for those horrible dogs. Loving and thinking of that special boy after death is a special tribute to the time you spent together and the very special gift he bestowed upon you, a cat's love.........RIP precious Peco. You will never be forgotten, you will always have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again.

cindy delgado

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As you have the descriptions of the dogs who killed him, I would not hesitate at all to shoot them. When dogs start killing domesticated animals, and cats, they pull down pet dogs too, and they progress to small children. this has been documented many times. I would report it to yoru local law enforcement, so they have it documented an can look for the animals. We had a dog like that nearby where we used to live. after contacting the owner many times, AND the sheriff, we heard a shot in the middle of the night and that was that. He had lunged at a two-year-old child the day before and had mauled our neighbor's small dog causing 5000.00 dollars in vet bills.
My heart goes out to you, i know it is impossible right now, but PLEASE try not to keep those horrible images in your mind. I witnessed my beloved cat, Chrissy getting killed and I still suffer ten years later. The feelings of guilt that I should have been able to prevent it will be with me always.......Believe me, it only brings pain and torment to your soul. Try to keep busy, and lavish your love on your remaining little ones. (though at times I even resented mine for being alive and my Chrissy was not) I know your beloved Peco would never want to be the cause of so much pain for someone he loved so much. go forward into life and live it as you would have wanted for him to go on if you were the first to go. That is love. You gave him 15 years of what he wanted most in this life, a home and people to love him, and he died doing what he loved most, exploring his beautiful world. Keep those beautiful images of him happy and being part of your family, there are so many more of them than the images of his horrible death. He lives on through you now. Be gentle on yourself, give yourself time, and a lot of it, to come to terms with what happened. Time is the ONLY thing that helps in matters of the heart. It's NOBODY'S fault except for those horrible dogs. Loving and thinking of that special boy after death is a special tribute to the time you spent together and the very special gift he bestowed upon you, a cat's love.........RIP precious Peco. You will never be forgotten, you will always have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again.
Thank you so much for your kind loving words. I will always cherish the time we had together and his warm loving gaze whenever he cuddled up in my lap. ❤🌈🐾