My cat was diagnosed with Urinary Tract Disease and I need advice!

What should I do with my cat?

• Send him to dad's farm.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Have him put down.

• I have another solution(reply to thread with solution).

• Total voters

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As the others have said, it would really help if you could tell us what food you're feeding him now. If he is on a urinary prescription food, there are still options if you're willing to try via diet.
You would need to start by taking him to the vet for a urinalysis and urine culture. Even though nothing was found before, it would help us to know what his urine pH is, and it would help you to ensure there are no crystals in his urine. Was any imaging ever done? I had a cat where nothing could be found in his urine. Yet a high resolution MRI found a small stone embedded in his bladder wall. Once it was surgically removed, the problem resolved.
I have a cat right now where an ultrasound found three stones in her bladder. That raises the urine pH, which then creates an excess formation of crystals and causes her pain and discomfort. We have had her on a urine acidifier for the past month. If that doesn't dissolve the crystals, she'll need surgery to remove them. But it's possible he's got stones in there that don't show up in a urinalysis, but will show up if imaging is done.
I totally agree!

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Breyn, how are things going?   Sorry for the late reply - I'm still learning how to keep track of things on this site.   I had one idea - do you have a vet school driving distance from you?   In worst case scenario where expensive surgery is needed sometimes they can give big discounts because they are a teaching hospital.     Hopefully though if you get him on the right food things should be okay.