My cat wakes me up every morning around 3.. howling

doodlebaby4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an 8 year old maine coone and have had him for 3 years. He is vocal but nothing like whats been going on for the past couple months. Ever since I moved from my third level apartment to a house he meows and howls consistently beside in the late morning and afternoon. He sits by the door and tries to get me to follow him to the door because he wants outside, but he'll only go out for an hour and want back in then back out again. . I don't have a doggy door and am tired of being woken up 2-3 times a night, its effecting my energy throughout my work day. I'm looking for any advice or suggestions to help this problem out.  Thanks all!

bikerblossom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
YWe have a cat that will pad my nose or put her head so close to my face and twictch her wiskers to wake me up early in the morning and shes a house cat..
Would it be posible to leave a window slightly open(i know u said u live 3 floors up prehaps a fire escape window)

Is there a reason u cant instal a kitty door?
Maybe try to stick to a routine if u can. Maybe let him out for a hour then call him bak then repeat though out the day to suit u. Making sure he gose out and in before u go to bed and he has food and a litter tray. So hopefully he has no need to go out in middle of night..

Hope some of these surjestions help. We still havnt discovered why my girl wakes me but hopefully u will have better luck.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could you consider changing your routine a bit?  Cat's normally hunt, eat and then sleep.  So maybe let him out not long before your bed time; then when he comes in feed him his dinner and go to bed.  After that; ignore ignore ignore!  He might protest a lot at first; but a cat sees even negative attention as attention.  I've heard other members say that their cat's eventually learned that they don't move until the alarm goes off.  It just takes patience and consistency; especially at first.