My Cat Thinks I'm Her Mom... And I Love It

sophieloafieloo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat sophie loafie is the cutest little girl I know. She's about 2 years old and has got the darn cutest lil calico pattern I've ever seen. I live in a household of five humans with four cats including my daughter. Recently the other humans in my home have been growing tired of sophie loafie's favoritism behavior. She ignores everybody except for me, who she is super affectionate with. Any ideas on how to make her love everybody in my family so they don't feel so left out?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Thanks for coming here!
Keeping in mind that this'll likely take some time, what if you try having the other people feed her, and give her treats.
If she likes being brushed, have the other people do that.
By the way, how about a picture :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophieloafieloo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Thanks for coming here!
Keeping in mind that this'll likely take some time, what if you try having the other people feed her, and give her treats.
If she likes being brushed, have the other people do that.
By the way, how about a picture :)
Thanks! Everyone takes turns feeding the cats so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll try treats!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. If you're the one who feeds her, plays with her, brushes her, and cleans her litter box, she probably considers you her "mom". :catlove:

I agree with those who've already suggested, get the others in your family to start feeding her and giving her more attention.

TCS has an article 14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me which might have some other ideas.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See i thought this thread was going to turn out like that time my kitten woke me up on the sofa trying to nurse off me.
No Tommy that doesn't work like that.
:petcat:
Definitely his momma.
(I was confused and flattered)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes a cat will pick one particular person in the family that they bond with no matter what. It's definitely a good idea to have other family members interact with Sophie Loafie especially at feeding and play time. However, Neely chose me and made it very obvious despite my husband and daughters trying to interact with her. Best of luck, I hope with time and patience Sophie becomes more affectionate with the other people in your family. :alright:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
See i thought this thread was going to turn out like that time my kitten woke me up on the sofa trying to nurse off me.
No Tommy that doesn't work like that.
:petcat:
Definitely his momma.
(I was confused and flattered)
I'd definitely say you're his new mom. :wink:

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes cats just have a favorite person, I think. We are two humans, and have two cats, and although we'd never admit it out loud, each cat has their preferred human. However, I agree with other posters that spending routine time with Sophie, doing the things she loves, will make her open up to them.

You might let others in the family have a special activity they get to do with Sophie so that it strengthens the connection for the humans, too. For example; Mog definitely favors my husband, but he loves to be brushed. Since I brush all our animals, we get to have our special brushing time that's just me and Mog. Lucy, who treats me like I'm her mom, has a special treat ball she only plays with my husband. The possibilities are limitless! Sophie may always love you most, but that doesn't mean she can't connect with the rest of the household.