My cat thinks he's a dog?

bender

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got a 2 year old cat named Bender in early semptember in 2012, he is a very affectionate cat and follows me everywere he also won't go near roads and avoids roads as much as he can. But i'm wondoring is it weird that my cat might think he is a dog, the lady that used to own got him at 6 weeks old and she had a dog at that time, instead of meowing he used to bark and behave like a dog (he was an inside cat so he hadn't seen any other cats) after the dog died he went back to meowing but he always flicks his tail side to side and has it almost fully erected when ever he's around someone and/or following me, if he is out in the yard he will have it level with his body twitching the end of his tail. He is netured but still gets into fights with a ginger cat (He usually loses and once the ginger cat drew blood on his paw though he is ok and didn't get cat aids or anything like that) he is brought inside at dark and sleeps in the house.

Last edited:

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Haha sounds like your little guy has quite the personality! 

No, I don't think it's weird that your cat follows you around and "acts" like a dog. Feline personalities are as diverse as humans are. He just sounds like an affectionate little guy to me! (And also very smart by avoiding roads). 

Cats use their tails to communicate how they are feeling. An erect tail (so long as the fur isn't bristled) is often a sign of them being interested in something, showing affection, or offering an excited, friendly greeting. Having it level with his body with a slight twitching is also an indicator of starting to get interested in something. So, from your descriptions, his tail seems to indicate that he's overall very curious and happy. 

If his tail is ever bristled or he is swishing it back and forth really quickly that is more of an indicator of irritation or anger. He likely does this whenever his yard rival, the ginger cat, is around. His being neutered won't change his defense instincts so it's not surprising that he still gets into fights. Try to avoid this as much as possible. Not only can he get seriously injured but the the other cat may be carrying an illness (such as FIV) that your guy can contract. At his next vet appointment I would have him tested for FIV just to be on the safe side. 

But, overall, I don't think there is anything concerning about his personality. He's just outgoing! 

nifter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it's fairly normal for cats to exhibit dog like behaviour - my tom cat comes at a whistle like a dog and comes running down the garden with his tail in the air and I used to have a little cat walk 'with me' when I came home from work.  Every night he'd be waiting on the corner and he'd walk up the road to a certain point with me and then just sit on the wall and watch me go round the corner!  No idea whose he was or where he lived - like you describe, his tail was always straight up in the air - just interest/excitement I think :)