My Cat Suddenly Hates Me?

lightt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone.

My 4 year old Burmese cat, Gunner, and I have always had a great relationship. He used to always sleep on my lap and loved when I gave him pats and cuddles.

I recently brought home a 4 year old Domestic cat (his name is Otis) from the animal shelter and now Gunner doesn't seem to like me anymore? Whenever I approach him, he runs away and hides under the bed. He won't let me touch him at all and when I do manage to pick him up, he immediately struggles to get away from me. I'm also a bit concerned because I haven't seen him go to his food bowl that much. Both Gunner and Otis love attention and I try and give them both love at the same time but Gunner just doesn't want it anymore.

I'm a bit upset about it. How long will it take for Gunner to act normal again?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hello everyone.

My 4 year old Burmese cat, Gunner, and I have always had a great relationship. He used to always sleep on my lap and loved when I gave him pats and cuddles.

I recently brought home a 4 year old Domestic cat (his name is Otis) from the animal shelter and now Gunner doesn't seem to like me anymore? Whenever I approach him, he runs away and hides under the bed. He won't let me touch him at all and when I do manage to pick him up, he immediately struggles to get away from me. I'm also a bit concerned because I haven't seen him go to his food bowl that much. Both Gunner and Otis love attention and I try and give them both love at the same time but Gunner just doesn't want it anymore.

I'm a bit upset about it. How long will it take for Gunner to act normal again?
i would take him to a vet to rule out health reasons,  how did you introduce the two? 

cassthecatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

Sorry about the situation.

Well, shouldn't take long. I'm pretty sure it will just take a little while for him to get used to having another cat in the house. You see, the two cats need time to get used to one another. When they met, what did they think of one another? 

He might just be scared. He doesn't know what's going on. I'm sure he still loves you very much!

I hope I helped. 

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's important not to be the one your cat sees bringing the new one home. I think your cat is mad at you for bringing another being into his territory. Try to ignore the new cat as much as possible and give the original one lots of attention. Bring them together for food if you can. But an adjustment to a new cat takes a bit of time, too. Every time I have brought a new one home, it is War for awhile.