My cat stopped drinking!

Joansmith1100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have taken my cat in to the emergency vet 2 times in the last month. Both times they only gave him an IV for dehydration. All the tests showed no problems or concerns. The IV worked both times. This second time only lasted a few days though. I have tried everything I know. Please help, any suggestions on how to hydrate him. I give him watered down can food but today he has no interest in anything!

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Goat milk if he likes milk, tuna water I know is not ideal but is better than nothing. Would he be interested in fountain? Sound of running water gets some cats drinking.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Water fountain was the best thing I ever bought both my boy's love it. Have you tried leaving water out in cups I know it sounds crazy but my daughter has a cat that has his own cup, sometimes just using something different bowl or cup left in a different place can help. My daughter leaves her cat's cup on the kitchen side. Give him a few different things in a few places. Could you leave a tap dripping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joansmith1100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Goat milk if he likes milk, tuna water I know is not ideal but is better than nothing. Would he be interested in fountain? Sound of running water gets some cats drinking.
I have not tried goat milk. He has never cared for cow's milk but I will definitely try it. Thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joansmith1100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Water fountain was the best thing I ever bought both my boy's love it. Have you tried leaving water out in cups I know it sounds crazy but my daughter has a cat that has his own cup, sometimes just using something different bowl or cup left in a different place can help. My daughter leaves her cat's cup on the kitchen side. Give him a few different things in a few places. Could you leave a tap dripping.
We had a cat once that drank out of my cup on my nightstand every night. I completely forgot about that. I will set a few out tonight. With different liquids in them. Thank you.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What were you feeding prior to the dehydration issues? Dry food only? Dry and canned? Something else?

Is the weather very hot where you are? Is your cat indoors only and you have ways of keeping the home cool (fans, AC, etc)?

Did the ER do any blood work on your cat? If not, I would have your regular vet do that just to see if any of the blood values are off which could indicate why your cat is dehydrated.

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles