My cat (still) pees outside of the litter box even after vet visit.

whc216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

One of my cats periodically pees outside of litter box and I am hoping to get some help from here. I will try my best to keep it short but this has been the issue since she came to me (which is about 2 years ago) and I still couldn't resolve it, so hopefully someone can help or advice me.

My cat was fine in the beginning, then she started to pee outside of litter box. It was probably once a month at that time that I thought it was an accident. Then it became more frequent and she started to pee outside once a day. I ended up bringing her to the vet and the doctor prescribed medicine for UTI for a week after the test. During that week, she did not pee outside of the litter box and it worked! But after a week, she started again, as if medication worked for that time. The vet gave me additional week for it and her pee behavior went away for few days, then she did it again but less frequently. I was also at the position that she was bit overweight and had to loose weight, so I worked on making her loose weight (about 4 lbs) and hoping the issue goes away.

Unfortunately, while she lost weight, the issue still existed and we did additional test, like blood work and x-ray and so on, but the vet couldn't find the issue as everything looked great and at this point, she said it look like a behavior and gave me a medication for the behavior. That was about a year ago. My cat unfortunately still peed frequently (I cannot recall how often because at this point, I lost track of it as she peed everywhere in my apartment before). Few month later, we did another UTI test and the doctor said some rate is bit higher but not too much leaning toward UTI.

That was my cat's previous history. I recently moved to the bigger new place, and at the beginning, she was ok with all. I introduced place slowly and everything is new, so no cat urinated spots. Unfortunately, she started to pee outside of litter box again after some weeks of adjustment. It was multi-room & multi-floor and she used to pee only one specific room, which has carpet. Every time she does, I spot it and tried to clean as much as I can. Now she started to expand and pee on hardwood stair, hardwood floor (in front of entrance) and even carpet stair. It can be every other day, every week, or something like that. One thing I noticed was that she always pees at the corner and/or edge. I couldn't figure the way she pee (whether spraying or urinating) but I assume urinating because pee is usually on the floor. She also knows she did something bad because when she did and saw me, she ran away. BTW, I clean the litter box daily as same schedule and we have 1 litter box per cat.

Is this still considered to be behavior? Perhaps her anxiety? Then why UTI med worked only that time? I am so frustrated because I visited vet multiple times and even with it, the issue still exists. I have to say that I did not give her the medication frequently because I am still unsure if this is anxiety and/or behavior and if so, what is causing it? My daily routine is very regular and in fact, I stay in home a lot too, so I am not sure what could trigger her anxiety? Also before she came to me, she used to live w/ multiple cats about 4 years until the owner passed away and not sure if that caused the issue.

TL;DR: One of my cats pees outside of the litter box since she came to me (2 years ago). I visited vet multiple times and even with UTI medication and clean health result, she still pees outside, some abnormal pattern (can be once a week to once every other day). I was leaning toward anxiety and/or behavior but I don't know what is causing it and not sure how to resolve it. I am usually keeping regular schedule and in fact, stay in home a lot. She previously lived with multiple cats until the owner passed away and I have multiple cats (2 others) and we have 1 litter box per cat.

Thank you so much!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am guessing this is stress/anxiety related since she doesn't routinely pee outside the box. I don't know what medication was prescribed for her, but not giving it to her on schedule is about the same as not giving it to her at all. What is the med, anyway?

When testing for a UTI was done, did the vet do both a urinalysis and urine culture? The urine culture looks for the type of bacteria and identifies the most effective antibiotics. Less effective antibiotics will reduce the infection, but not eradicate it entirely, hence the reason you see some improvement for a period of time. Also, the urinalysis can identify if there are stones or sediment in the urine, which can accompany cystitis and is not always associated with a UTI. And, an ultrasound would let the vet know if the bladder lining is thickened, another sign of inflammation that can be tied to cystitis. As far as I know, there are many cases of cystitis that are considered idiopathic - meaning of no known origin. This is generally when vets diagnose it as stress/anxiety related. Here is a TCS article about cystitis to help you better understand it, if you don't already.
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis – How To Improve Your Cat’s Quality Of Life – Cat Articles

Hope this helps some.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

It sounds like you are well educated on the issues that cause peeing issues.

As you mention peeing outside of the box is caused by medical (infection, pain, etc) or behavioral (stress, anxiety, territorial insecurity, memory of previous issues, etc).

As you rightly did you took her to the vet and it sounds like UTIs may be at times a cause (since she responds to the medication). I do wonder if there is some lingering pain. Keep talking to the vet about options to possibly address any medical issues.

Then behavioral. Moves can cause issues given they may not feel like they "own" the new territory. So I like to address behavioral issues with confidence building. So step up play especially in areas she is peeing and feed either treats or a meal after play (be careful as she may have to watch her weight). Play builds confidence as it replicates the natural survival instinct as in the wild. Hunt, Capture, Kill, Eat, Groom, Sleep. Also, give her options to go high so cat trees, ways to go on dressers (if safely), cat shelving (if your landlord approves). Also, give her a lot of places to get her scent on things to "own" more territory. So scratching posts (especially where she is peeing) can be helpful as well as cat trees. Warm and comfy bedding to help her get her scent on more things and to feel comfortable and less stressed. Finally, make sure you give her a lot of love (if you can safely). Love can be petting to get her to purr, or giving eye kisses, giving good food, staying calm and confident around her, talking softly and lovingly to her. Everything to make her feel more confident as cats take on our emotions.

Also, add as many litter boxes as possible and make sure they are large enough and near or on places she is peeing outside of the box (so in those corners).

Make sure you clean with an enzymatic cleaner and when cleaning stay calm and confident and act like nothing is wrong (not saying you don't already). Cats do not want to go outside of the litter box. It is a cry for help and given what you wrote about her actions she feels badly about it.

Also as you mention keep a routine as consistent as possible.

Also, how is her relationship with the other cats? If not great (any avoiding, hiding, etc), then we will want to work on making positive associations with them (so feeding together, making positive encounters together, etc). I do want to understand the relationship with the other cats as this could be creating insecurity or stress.

Also, do you have ferals around your new place or other animals?

A cat's instinct is to cover their scent so we will figure this out. Don;t worry. I will be with you every step of the way.

Calypso522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anything changed since january? I'm having the exact same issues, plus aggression from a house mate during episodes of urinating outside the box.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, C Calypso522 ! It would probably help if you could provide more details that are specific to your situation. Also, you might want to consider starting your own thread, just for better exposure to members who are looking through newer posts. (The original poster on this thread hasn't been back on this site since they started the thread, so not sure if they will respond at all.)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Calypso522,

I second Feebysowner and am also happy to help solve your situation,. A new thread is a good idea. Just let me know what the title is and it is posted.

Cats will go out of the litter box due to medical issues and behavioral (stress, lack of confidence, etc). And cats can attack the cat that is doing it out of insecurity, territorial instincts, stress, etc. We can do a lot to improve your situation since a cat's instinct is to cover their scent. So it is very rare to to solve the issue with the right knowledge and effort.

We are happy to help you through this.