My cat started shaking his head to fling the drool away

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A new obnoxious behavior emerges...

Willy has always been a drooler when he's purring and happy. Not excessively, but I've come to expect a few drips onto my clothing while petting him.

He is 10 years old, and never did this before in his life. But he recently discovered that he can shake his head to fling the drool away from his face. Of course, he does this right in my face while he's on my lap.

Now that I am familiar with cats, I know to expect that this behavior will never go away, and I am stuck with drool showers from now on. He's learned that it feels good to get rid of the drool, and he's going to do it forever.

Just after getting blasted in the face...

20230503_173624.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you keep a little hankie in your pocket and help him by wiping? My angel Poppycat was quite the drooler (even with vet maintained teeth), but he never did go so far as to fling it lol
I did put a box of tissues on the coffee table nearby, but all he wants to do is bite and shred them (he's a major paper shredder).

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He just did it next to me on the couch while in the middle of a grooming session. Notice the splash marks on the couch cushion? That's what I'm dealing with now.

20230818_132129.jpg

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I would mention is that you might be sure to have your vet really look at his mouth during his next wellness check, just to be sure there's nothing going on there .
Hang in there!
I'll definitely ask the vet about it.

But honestly, I am laughing at this new behavior more than I am truly annoyed by it. Yes, it's a little gross... but I'm already scooping his pee and poop, so it's not like a little gross isn't par for the course.

When it comes to having a pet -- which I'd imagine is like having a human child in this respect -- you are signing on for all the yucky stuff that comes as part of a package deal with all the love they bring you.

Sure, I'd prefer not to take cat-drool showers, but it's another new funny quirk. At least, it's funny as long as there's nothing wrong with his teeth (he hasn't had any dental issues at all yet).

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
My cat did this after dental surgery as his mouth was uncomfortable. I'm another one that thinks it could be good to get his mouth checked out. :)