My Cat Sneezes A Lot With Discharge

Kyrie2228

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, So my 4-month-old kitten was done with her course of antibiotics for her URTI, it went away around the 5th day but then it came back. She has discharge from her nose and eyes and sneezes a lot. This has already been addressed by the antibiotic regimen but somehow it wasn't treated. FYI, she eats a lot, she drinks a lot, she plays and she grooms herself. It's just that at times, especially in the morning, when I wake to see her, she'll have her eyes shut from all the gunk, and then moments later it's back to normal.
But she does sneeze a lot and snot would land on my arm.

Are there home remedies for this? I remember my vet told me it's normal for kittens to have viral/bacterial respiratory problems.

She's not weak, she appears okay and very active, that's why I'm not sure if this warrants another trip to the vet.

Is it possible, though, that she's allergic to the cat sand scent?

Thank you to those who'll share their input.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, First let me say, I'm so sorry your sweet girl isn't feeling well.

My girl Chestnut had the same issues but was 13 years old.

Let me say, yes, this warrants another trip to the vet. URI's are nothing to take lightly.

My girl who also had a healthy appetite and appeared normal was always sneezing, my vet (whom I no longer go to) just treated her Urinary issues and never fully addressed her URI, well, she passed away as a result. My newer vet said that had she gotten the proper meds her lungs could have cleared up. But she was all full of liquid and died of a heart attack/stroke.

I'm no doctor but like anything else, issues that aren't addressed properly now at such a young age may only get worse later in her life. If she was being treated, then I strongly believe the issue needs to be looked at again, and it's not from any scents.

I don't mean to scare you, but since she was being treated before, a follow up is in order.

Also, don't feel intimated to ask your vet lots of questions. And if you need to see another vet then do so, a second opinion may be needed.

Best to you and your sweet girl.

:wave3:Welcome to TCS, I think you'll find this site is fantastic for all feline questions and the support from members is amazing. AND we love pictures, so feel free to go to NEW CATS ON THE BLOCK section and you can start a thread introduce your girl.

May I ask what her name is.

Be well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kyrie2228

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, First let me say, I'm so sorry your sweet girl isn't feeling well.

My girl Chestnut had the same issues but was 13 years old.

Let me say, yes, this warrants another trip to the vet. URI's are nothing to take lightly.

My girl who also had a healthy appetite and appeared normal was always sneezing, my vet (whom I no longer go to) just treated her Urinary issues and never fully addressed her URI, well, she passed away as a result. My newer vet said that had she gotten the proper meds her lungs could have cleared up. But she was all full of liquid and died of a heart attack/stroke.

I'm no doctor but like anything else, issues that aren't addressed properly now at such a young age may only get worse later in her life. If she was being treated, then I strongly believe the issue needs to be looked at again, and it's not from any scents.

I don't mean to scare you, but since she was being treated before, a follow up is in order.

Also, don't feel intimated to ask your vet lots of questions. And if you need to see another vet then do so, a second opinion may be needed.

Best to you and your sweet girl.

:wave3:Welcome to TCS, I think you'll find this site is fantastic for all feline questions and the support from members is amazing. AND we love pictures, so feel free to go to NEW CATS ON THE BLOCK section and you can start a thread introduce your girl.

May I ask what her name is.

Be well.
Hello! Thank you for your kind words. Her name is Bentley. I've posted about her previously when I asked help because I am clueless about cats (dog person here). I appreciate your advice and I will bring her to the vet. It should ease my mind as well.

This site has been awesome, it's full of cool people. I'm glad to be here. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kyrie2228

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So Bentley was on antibiotics again. Her snot has subsided, it's a good thing, but she keeps tearing. She already pooped worms out after her second deworming, but her poop is still somewhat wet/soft and not solid and formed. She'll finish her antibiotics this week and I'll be taking her again for a follow-up.

Question though, this (roughly) three-month-old kitten drinks a lot of water.. I read that it's not entirely a good thing. Could this be another problem?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's likely the antibiotics are causing the soft stools. You can add a probiotic such as acidophilus to her food to help firm up stools. If you find that she starts sneezing again with discharge, ask the vet to culture the discharge to see if you're dealing with a secondary infection.

Tearing could be caused by airborne allergies. If you're in a dry, dusty area or an area with lots of various pollen, that can trigger the eye watering.

I'm not sure I'd be too concerned with water intake at this point. It also could be a side effect of the antibiotic. I have one that appears to drink more water than normal, but it's because she never laps up a lot of water at one time.