My cat should be about 8 weeks pregnant but is barely showing.

ALEXAMONKEY

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've been thinking our 11 year old cat is pregnant. She was in heat, and a male feral started hanging around our place. We tried to keep them apart and separated them via spraybottle several times but then it seemed clear they had done the deed. But she should be about 8 weeks and is BARELY showing. She hasn't had a heat since, her fur (she is a shorthaired cat) seemed to get ever so slightly longer, and she has been behaving differently. She is affectionate and is suddenly sleeping on our bed cuddled up with us, much to the dog's dismay. Her nipples feel ever so slightly enlarged I think- honestly I wasn't in the habit of checking the size of her nipples before. But there is only the slightest bulge, and I mean slight.
The dad is still hanging around, but she's mean to him now. He's a sweetheart though and we started feeding him and named him Hawkeye.
So given her age could there be something wrong? Should we be expecting kittens? I just don't know, and taking her to the vet right now just won't work. My husband has some medical training but we are unable to locate his stethescope and he is as confused as I am.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Had she had litters before? If not, yes, its potentially dangerous birth.

Otherwise, prepare as well you can. Be sure you have contact with your vet already before, as you may be forced to rush her in.
But with a little luck, and if God´s will, everything may end well.

Her barely showing may be a small litter. After all, its not unheard of a "non preg" cat, perhaps even a "male", suddenly has one or two kittens...

Re Romeo, er Hawkeye. Begin with neutering him. :)
Toms are often friendly, especielly to humans. And if not dominant, he wont be hostile to other cats. But she will feel more comfortable if he is neutered. ALL will be more comfortable.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
63 -70 days is the gestation time, if she is having only one or two kittens she wouldn't show much. Eleven years old is pretty old to be having kittens, so watch her carefully, especially if she does go into labor. If she has had litters before, she should be fine. Please keep us informed.....

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Eleven is way too old to be having kittens, so hopefully labor and delivery will go well.

Also, pick up a can of powdered kitten formula and begin giving her a dish of formula daily. The extra calcium will help with labor and then nursing.

You may also need to supplement the kittens if mom does not produce enough milk. This can happen with older cats whose hormones are not as strong as in younger cats.

Do have a vet number available in case she gets in trouble.

A ALEXAMONKEY

Last edited: