My Cat Seems to Hate Me

Minnie_Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my cat to the vet last weekend. They gave me medicine that I had to inject into her mouth. Now she is predominantly standoffish and mean towards me. She used to follow me quite often. Barge into the bathroom, etc. If I try to pick her up she yowls/hisses at me. However, she has allowed me to play with her. I thought letting the faucet run for her while I am there would be a great treaty measure but it only works in the moment. She put her face up to mine like she is kissing me or saying thank you which she does rather often..I miss how the snuggles and her friendly nature towards me. She is about 8 months old.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This happens to some people - cats can hold grudges. After the meds are done, act like its a new cat. Don't assume you can do the things you did before. Make sure you are doing only things the cat is comfortable with. In time, things should be back to normal if you are patient. Where some people go wrong is in not giving up the idea that they can do the things they used to do right away, and causing additional bad vibes with the cat. That can definitely slow down recovery.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't understand that going to the vet and taking medicine is good for them, at first, but they often do put two and two together... they felt sick, they went to the vet, then they felt better. They will eventually learn that, even if they don't like it, their humans are taking care of them.

Your cat is still only eight months old. It's probably her first time to visit the vet for something besides shots and a checkup. She probably hasn't figured it out yet. She will, eventually.

When she does, these periods of pissy behavior will become shorter.

Casper had to go to the vet two times because he was sick. One time because of urinary crystals and one time because of megacolon. (constipation) Both times, he had to have procedures done. Both times, he had to take medicine, afterward.

Casper is a pretty skittish cat and doesn't like to go to the vet, even for a checkup. He is also very recalcitrant when it comes to taking his pills to the point where we have had to restrain him in a blanket to make him take his medicine. Each time we had to take him to the vet it was a virtual battle to get him into the car. Both times, he was pissy and stand-offish to me for a day or two, afterward.

However, both times, Casper was very sick and, if he didn't go to the vet, he probably would not have lived. He did eventually put two and two together. He did learn that "Sick = Feel Bad" and "Vet = Feel Better." At first, it took him a while to get over it. The last time, it only took him a short time.

I think, if you just give your cat some space, she'll learn that you are only doing these things to help her get better, and, after that, she won't take so long to get back to normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minnie_Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This happens to some people - cats can hold grudges. After the meds are done, act like its a new cat. Don't assume you can do the things you did before. Make sure you are doing only things the cat is comfortable with. In time, things should be back to normal if you are patient. Where some people go wrong is in not giving up the idea that they can do the things they used to do right away, and causing additional bad vibes with the cat. That can definitely slow down recovery.
Thank you for your advice! 😊

Minnie_Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats don't understand that going to the vet and taking medicine is good for them, at first, but they often do put two and two together... they felt sick, they went to the vet, then they felt better. They will eventually learn that, even if they don't like it, their humans are taking care of them.

Your cat is still only eight months old. It's probably her first time to visit the vet for something besides shots and a checkup. She probably hasn't figured it out yet. She will, eventually.

When she does, these periods of pissy behavior will become shorter.

Casper had to go to the vet two times because he was sick. One time because of urinary crystals and one time because of megacolon. (constipation) Both times, he had to have procedures done. Both times, he had to take medicine, afterward.

Casper is a pretty skittish cat and doesn't like to go to the vet, even for a checkup. He is also very recalcitrant when it comes to taking his pills to the point where we have had to restrain him in a blanket to make him take his medicine. Each time we had to take him to the vet it was a virtual battle to get him into the car. Both times, he was pissy and stand-offish to me for a day or two, afterward.

However, both times, Casper was very sick and, if he didn't go to the vet, he probably would not have lived. He did eventually put two and two together. He did learn that "Sick = Feel Bad" and "Vet = Feel Better." At first, it took him a while to get over it. The last time, it only took him a short time.

I think, if you just give your cat some space, she'll learn that you are only doing these things to help her get better, and, after that, she won't take so long to get back to normal.
Thank you for your perspective.

Minnie_Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your help! 🤣

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's still not feeling 100% then she won't want to be handled as much. I dont think cats hold grudges they just feel like crap and have to take nasty tasting medicine which you have to give so they dont always trust your not always going to give nasty medicine. Just do more play time, more treats and talk softly to her while giving love blinks (slow blinking). She will come around :)

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since she is playing with you she will come around no worries. With minish, apologies work, although she hates what was done (stepping on her tail trimming her nails giving medicine...) she forgives fast especially if there are also treats involved :)

Minnie_Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I still need to give her the medicine for a mild dermatitis. It's liquid and I have to inject it into her mouth. Since the last couple times I haven't been able to pick her up to give her medicine. It looks a little better from what I could see. I need help with this.

Minnie_Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she's still not feeling 100% then she won't want to be handled as much. I dont think cats hold grudges they just feel like crap and have to take nasty tasting medicine which you have to give so they dont always trust your not always going to give nasty medicine. Just do more play time, more treats and talk softly to her while giving love blinks (slow blinking). She will come around :)
Thank you! 😊