My Cat Scratches The Couch

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello,
My cat keeps scratching one of my couches, I put scratching post around it and around the house wich she uses, I cover the couch with thin foil for a week but once I uncovered it she went at it again. . Any suggestions on how I can get her to stop scratching it?
I trim her nails ( I'm against declawing, I will NEVER do that)
Thank you

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! Something that I like to recommend that many cat owners find is a better deterrent to scratching than foil is a special "scratch not" tape. This is one brand: SmartyKat Scratch Not Tape

You might also try different kinds of scratchers, there are several different options for positions (vertical, horizontal, incline) and textures (cardboard, thick sisal rope, thin sisal rope). My Charlie, for example, loves the vertical posts with thick sisal rope and won't scratch any other type of scratcher. A friend of mine, on the other hand, has a cat that only scratches horizontal cardboard.

This article gives some more tips: How To Stop Your Cat From Scratching The Furniture

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For some reason, even though my Ruby has PLENTY of scratchers, she still will saunter over to the sofa, stretch up and stick her claws in it. :cringe: So, unfortunately, I can't help you. :( Good luck though on finding a solution.

Frank123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is what worked for my cat, but I can't guarantee it will work for you. When I caught me cat clawing the sofa, I gently grabbed her, carried her to the scratching post that was next to the sofa and taking her front paws made a scratching motion on the post. Luckily she caught on fast and now she uses the scratching post all the time.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can fully cover the couch with a huge sheet and tuck it under so no part of the couch is showing. You just need to find a color that you like, but sheets don't look too bad. :)

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can put nail covers on your cat’s front feet. Look for them on Amazon or at softpaws.com. You might need help with this but once you get them all on, they stay for a while.

• Purraise
Reactions: GGG
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Something that I like to recommend that many cat owners find is a better deterrent to scratching than foil is a special "scratch not" tape. This is one brand: SmartyKat Scratch Not Tape

You might also try different kinds of scratchers, there are several different options for positions (vertical, horizontal, incline) and textures (cardboard, thick sisal rope, thin sisal rope). My Charlie, for example, loves the vertical posts with thick sisal rope and won't scratch any other type of scratcher. A friend of mine, on the other hand, has a cat that only scratches horizontal cardboard.

This article gives some more tips: How To Stop Your Cat From Scratching The Furniture
Thank you! I will try the scratch not tape. I have those different types of scratching posts... hopefully the tape will work
Thanks for your help

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I haven’t used the made-for-kitties tape, but years ago I used regular double-sided non permanent tape for one of mine and it worked well. They hate the feel of sticky on their feet.

I tried the same thing with my newest addition, and one of my other weirdos licked at it until it fell off. So now I use Feliway spray. I lightly mist the place she’s scratching every couple of days (they have to not be in the area for about 15 minutes), and it definitely helps. Doesn’t work for all cats, though.

• Purraise

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks!
I tried double sided tape and she was playing with it until came off... I'll try the spray, hopefully helps.
Do I spray the area where she scratches then wait 15 minutes until letting back in the family room (where the couch is)?
Thank you

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can fully cover the couch with a huge sheet and tuck it under so no part of the couch is showing. You just need to find a color that you like, but sheets don't look too bad. :)
I did that!
She went CRAZY over the sheet and it didn't t stop her :)
Maybe I'll try to do that again...
Thank you

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is what worked for my cat, but I can't guarantee it will work for you. When I caught me cat clawing the sofa, I gently grabbed her, carried her to the scratching post that was next to the sofa and taking her front paws made a scratching motion on the post. Luckily she caught on fast and now she uses the scratching post all the time.
I do that too, she uses the scratching posts but still goes to the couch
But I keep doing it :)
Hopefully she'll stop
Thanks

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks!
I tried double sided tape and she was playing with it until came off... I'll try the spray, hopefully helps.
Do I spray the area where she scratches then wait 15 minutes until letting back in the family room (where the couch is)?
Thank you
Yep, that was Iris. “Oh, yay!” she said. “A new toy!”

Yes, lightly spray where she’s been scratching and keep her away for about 15 minutes. It’s just to let it dry. For Mocha, I was having to spray furniture edges and several spots on rugs. I tried every combo of scratcher known and unknown to cats and humans. She just wanted to use the expensive rug. She’s better now and has some inexpensive sisal scratchers she’ll use. Usually. I have to mist again every couple of days. When I first got her, I was doing it daily. The stuff is pricey but it worked.

• Purraise

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I'll buy tomorrow. Hopefully the stores here in Ottawa carry that