My cat runs away when its time to brush her teeth....

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is 5 years old, i should have started this when she was a kitten. But i had no idea you even needed to brush a cats teeth. I've gotten her to come to me for her daily grooming. But i cant get her to like brushing her teeth.

She likes the toothpaste and will lick it, but balks as soon as i start brushing her teeth. I am then stuck chasing her down throughout the day just to brush her teeth for a few seconds.

Every time i try to add dental care to our daily routine i give up, because i get so annoyed with her.

What can i do?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, you might consider adding a chicken neck to her weekly treats.  In the wild, cats don't need tooth brushes because the things they chew act like brushes and floss.  If you are interested in adding some raw bones etc. to help her teeth, check with the folks in the Nutrition Forum who can tell you what is safe and will work well. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Actually, you might consider adding a chicken neck to her weekly treats.  In the wild, cats don't need tooth brushes because the things they chew act like brushes and floss.  If you are interested in adding some raw bones etc. to help her teeth, check with the folks in the Nutrition Forum who can tell you what is safe and will work well. 
ive read about that. but the thing is, my cat is very finicky. i tried feeding a raw diet, and she refused to eat the raw food. i tried easing her in, but she would only eat the cooked meat and leave the raw meat. 

im not sure she would know what to do with a bone.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Patience, trial and error is the key!  If your cat likes the toothpaste that's helpful - turn it into a game by letting her lick the toothpaste first, and play with her after.  That worked with my super-playful, 3 year old ball of kitten-like energy. The other cat has been more of a challenge.  It turned out that I was brushing his teeth too hard, plus he hates to have his head held.  I eased up and brushed gently AND gave him a favorite treat immediately after.  He still occasionally decides he wants no part of tooth brushing and runs under the bed when he sees the brush, but on most days he's now quite tolerant.

Since you've now got a cat who is anti-brush trained, try letting your cat lick the toothpaste, then just touch the brush to her teeth and say "brush".  When she stops running away, try gradually working toward brushing.

Last edited:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Patience, trial and error is the key!  If your cat likes the toothpaste that's helpful - turn it into a game by letting her lick the toothpaste first, and play with her after.  That worked with my super-playful, 3 year old ball of kitten-like energy. The other cat has been more of a challenge.  It turned out that I was brushing his teeth too hard, plus he hates to have his head held.  I eased up and brushed gently AND gave him a favorite treat immediately after.  He still occasionally decides he wants no part of tooth brushing and runs under the bed when he sees the brush, but on most days he's now quite tolerant.

Since you've now got a cat who is anti-brush trained, try letting your cat lick the toothpaste, then just touch the brush to her teeth and say "brush".  When she stops running away, try gradually working toward brushing.
been trying that. shes been letting me grab her to brush her teeth. she normally wont let me get her, but shes gotten used to it now. 

thanks for the help!!!

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats and brush their teeth daily. I started in 2015. My cats' approximate ages are 7 months, 4 years, and 16 years. So when I started, the adults were aged 3 and 14 approximately.

Honestly, I just held them down and did it. Consistency was the key. Once they realized that it was happening every day, they got used to it. 

My latest cat was just adopted a few days ago. I fostered him though and started getting him used to brushing before he was officially mine. For the kitten, wrapping him in a blanket or towel and then quickly brushing seems to be the best solution. He fusses and squirms a little bit, but it's nothing major. 

Brushing can be hard to get started and maintain, but it pays off. My older cat's teeth needed a dental cleaning and extraction and I've been able to maintain his dental health through the tooth brushing. His gingivitis got SO much better and his mouth looks a lot better.

My 4 year old has some tartar, since I didn't start until he was 3, but otherwise his teeth and gums look great. I plan to look into getting his teeth cleaned this year. 

I'm hoping that I can prevent the need for a dental cleaning altogether by brushing daily from kittenhood with my youngest. 

Hang in there!

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is is available/affordable professional pet dental care in your vet's cabinet? Some vets use an equipment similar to the one used on humans to remove dental tartrum/ plaque.

This might be a time-saving, problem-free solution. 

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am gonna say pretty much what Crazy4Srays said, grab them, hold them & do it. I don't know if a cat will ever like it, they're just an animal & you go poking around inside their mouth, they aren't gonna like it. It's a necessity that needs to be done though. Just grin & bear it.

One thing I will mention about pretty much all cat toothpaste that I've found, is it's basically made out of sugar. All the cat needs is to have something brush off the crap along the tooth. You can dry brush, you can use dental wipes, heck I even used a qtip soaked in water. I used cat toothpaste for years & my one little girl had such bad teeth, when I took her for her dental, they had to pull 4 teeth. I now use dental wipes.

louche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There was a time where I was using teeth wipes. While my dog is fine as fine can get with the brushing, both cats were not. I wasn't incredibly successful with the wipes, as I could mainly scrape the top canines with my nail yet have to somehow position the wipe as far back between the jaw/mouth so they could chew/lap on it. A few seconds is all I cared for because they did not exhibit any out of sort behaviour afterwards...aside from wariness of maybe me putting another wipe in their mouth ;P

And just for better mental visual, I don't ball up the wipe, I try to place it as flat as I can between the jaws, far enough to the back of the mouth in hopes of it reaching the back teeth. The struggle is real with that attempt.

If you would still rather use something similarly abrasive to a brush, maybe use those silicon gum brushes for newborns to gauge if they'd prefer that.

I usually purchase a dental water additive in hopes it works to slow the progression of dental issues. I have purchased Naturel Promise in the past, and am waiting for an order of TropiClean to try.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bear in mind that brushing teeth is not an abrasion procedure. Insisting in "sanding" will damage gum while leaving calculus intact. 

The dental plaque is so firmly attached to the tooth that there is no chance to brush it. This is why humans use flossing. And even flossing cant take away tartar (calculus).

I dare to say that  brushing alone shall be very timely done to achieve desired results.    

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazy4Strays  

Honestly, I just held them down and did it. Consistency was the key. Once they realized that it was happening every day, they got used to it. 
I wholeheartedly agree with the above.  That's precisely what I've done with Atticus and Thirteen since they were kittens.  They don't like it but they do tolerate it and are both just astonishingly well behaved about it.  Their teeth are a huge point of pride for me when we go to  the vet. The vets are always "Ooooing and Ahhhhing" over their pearly whites.  My vet actually told me that good oral hygiene; i.e. brushing their teeth daily, was as important as diet.

Last edited:

sazcork

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh goodness, I would love to see how my little terror would react to brushing his teeth. I honestly didn't even know this had to be done

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ha, you guys are much more practical than I am.  One of my kitties is the most strong-willed, independent cat you've ever seen.  Nothing can be done on your terms, only his.  He's thoroughly sweet and very smart, and will squirm away when what's going on doesn't meet his approval.  So it was very important for me to develop a tooth brushing ritual that he accepts and even enjoys.  I had to do the same with claw clipping.  Anyone out there with a cat like this:  the ritual including play is the key.

My other cat is like yours.  I grab him, he sits still, and I brush his teeth with no drama.  He even opens his lips to make it easier for me.  If he doesn't feel like it that day he will run under the bed and that's that.  He does that a lot less since I discovered that I have to be gentle with his brushing.

I also include meat chunks in their food (they get homemade raw).  I think that helps keep their teeth clean but I wouldn't rely on that exclusively.  Even though one of them started developing gingivitis at a year old, their teeth and gums now are perfect.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The dental plaque cant be removed by brushing. Brushing just prevent it to form, only if done by 10 min or at most 30 minutes after feeding. That's the way it works on humans and I see no reason why cats may be different.

Some humans are very sensitive and collect bacterial dental placque very rapidly, despite careful brushing.

Brushing shall be done using a very soft brush, otherwise gums get very damaged. Toothpaste type, brand and content has no relevance, except content of SLS which damages the gums without any impact to the hygene and menthol which irritates and which is only included for a false feeling of clean mouth. 

In brief, I do not see very much benefit in brushing cats teeth, except the Guardian proves sufficient patience to do it within 10 minutes limit and for all meals. Meanwhile, as in the case of humans, insistent brushing using toothpaste and though brushes may even cause more damage than prevent. My opinion, based on human teeth care.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
For my current cat - regular tooth brushing and taking enzyme toothpaste orally does seem to help as if I stop the routine he quickly starts to show tartar and potential plaque build up, and his gums will start to look red and angry.

One thing I am unsure about @terestrife  is what you have been using when trying to brush your cat's teeth.   I started the tooth brushing using wipes wrapped over my finger, then gently rubbing with cottonwool buds and the enzyme paste.  ( The dental wipes did not work nearly as well as the paste for Mouse. )  I moved on to using the silicone finger brush which  Mouse tolerates but isn't too happy about it.     After reading a tip from another member here at TCS I started to use Interdental brushes which are so small they can be used without the cat's jaws being forced open.  As with any brush you have to take care not to rub too hard or to catch the gums with the wire core of the brush but as Mouse is much happier about these small brushes the whole procedure is much easier to control and to see what I'm doing.

On the rare occasions where Mouse isn't in the mood for brushing, and doesn't want to lick the paste off my finger, I simply wipe a little of the paste around his lips so he will lick it off - same result as licking from my finger.  Mostly he enjoys getting to lick my fingers though so it dosn't this way often.

If using the enzyme tooth pastes I do not think the timing of brushing is quite as important as it is with the human pastes and dental care: the information on the pastes state that the enzymes remain in the mouth, reducing oral bacteria and build up of plaque.  From what I observe with Mouse I would say this is accurate. 

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

For my current cat - regular tooth brushing and taking enzyme toothpaste orally does seem to help as if I stop the routine he quickly starts to show tartar and potential plaque build up, and his gums will start to look red and angry.

One thing I am unsure about @terestrife  is what you have been using when trying to brush your cat's teeth.   I started the tooth brushing using wipes wrapped over my finger, then gently rubbing with cottonwool buds and the enzyme paste.  ( The dental wipes did not work nearly as well as the paste for Mouse. )  I moved on to using the silicone finger brush which  Mouse tolerates but isn't too happy about it.     After reading a tip from another member here at TCS I started to use Interdental brushes which are so small they can be used without the cat's jaws being forced open.  As with any brush you have to take care not to rub too hard or to catch the gums with the wire core of the brush but as Mouse is much happier about these small brushes the whole procedure is much easier to control and to see what I'm doing.

On the rare occasions where Mouse isn't in the mood for brushing, and doesn't want to lick the paste off my finger, I simply wipe a little of the paste around his lips so he will lick it off - same result as licking from my finger.  Mostly he enjoys getting to lick my fingers though so it dosn't this way often.

If using the enzyme tooth pastes I do not think the timing of brushing is quite as important as it is with the human pastes and dental care: the information on the pastes state that the enzymes remain in the mouth, reducing oral bacteria and build up of plaque.  From what I observe with Mouse I would say this is accurate. 
Well, I suspect that you do is to prevent plaque to form.

I seriously doubt enzymes stays in the mouth for more than minutes.

The toothpaste industry is extremely profitable because there is no scientific evidence of any impact of anything they put in. One good example is fluoride which does nothing to teeth. In most water on Earth is sufficient fluoride, no need to add it up. The same with a lot of ingredients.

The only two things help (in human case) are:

- salt (or synthetic ingredients) that stimulates saliva

- clorhexidine- that forms a matrix that prevents plaque to build

The industry writes a lot on their labels....

hotchick57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have never brushed cats teeth. I have always had outdoor cats and let nature guide them. My vet has never suggested it either.
Drizzy eats dry food that is like a nibblet. Blue something . . .[emoji]128512[/emoji] I have to make a new appointment for socializing and to check his ears, I'll definitely check on his status. At 4 y.o. I'm not sure how he'd take to that. Grooming-ok, Medicine-hates it and is all claws. So I'm a little skeptical about brushing

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My latest cat was just adopted a few days ago. I fostered him though and started getting him used to brushing before he was officially mine. For the kitten, wrapping him in a blanket or towel and then quickly brushing seems to be the best solution. He fusses and squirms a little bit, but it's nothing major. 

Brushing can be hard to get started and maintain, but it pays off. My older cat's teeth needed a dental cleaning and extraction and I've been able to maintain his dental health through the tooth brushing. His gingivitis got SO much better and his mouth looks a lot better.

Hang in there!
Thanks! I used a towel and it made the process easier. My cat Kitty has gotten used to the brushing and doesnt run away anymore. With her i dont need the towel, but Elsa hates it, and even scratched me by mistake as she was trying to jump down. But the towel helped to keep her in one place. Thanks for the help!

Is is available/affordable professional pet dental care in your vet's cabinet? Some vets use an equipment similar to the one used on humans to remove dental tartrum/ plaque.

This might be a time-saving, problem-free solution. 
There is. I just want to avoid it for as long as i can, i dont want to use anasthesia on my cats until its necessary. if i can put it off by spending some time with them daily, then that would be great.

The dental plaque cant be removed by brushing. Brushing just prevent it to form, only if done by 10 min or at most 30 minutes after feeding. That's the way it works on humans and I see no reason why cats may be different.

Some humans are very sensitive and collect bacterial dental placque very rapidly, despite careful brushing.

Brushing shall be done using a very soft brush, otherwise gums get very damaged. Toothpaste type, brand and content has no relevance, except content of SLS which damages the gums without any impact to the hygene and menthol which irritates and which is only included for a false feeling of clean mouth. 

In brief, I do not see very much benefit in brushing cats teeth, except the Guardian proves sufficient patience to do it within 10 minutes limit and for all meals. Meanwhile, as in the case of humans, insistent brushing using toothpaste and though brushes may even cause more damage than prevent. My opinion, based on human teeth care.
Well, i just brush their teeth for a few seconds twice a day, and my cat Kittys teeth have improved so much in just two weeks. The tartar in her mouth is down by half. When we were at the vet, the vet was able to flick off the little bit of tartar she had one tooth. Last year her tartar was so hard that the vet tried to flick it off, and it was stuck on the tooth and couldnt be budged. Her brown tooth, is just a pale brown now. She has no signs of gingivitis. For me brushing has helped and will keep it up. I pray it works as well for Elsa (i just started with her after seeing it worked for Kitty.)

One thing I am unsure about @terestrife
 is what you have been using when trying to brush your cat's teeth.  

I use Dentasure, i found it while googling online. I used to use Leba II and it worked amazingly well. It got rid of the tartar so fast. It worked even faster than Dentasure. But i found out it had alcohol, so i stopped. I found dentasure and have been using it for two weeks, its been working very well so far. Just a bit slower, but still working. =) My cat Kitty seems to like the toothbrush, Elsa hates me touching her mouth.

Oh goodness, I would love to see how my little terror would react to brushing his teeth. I honestly didn't even know this had to be done :catguy:
It depending on your cat, my vet says it depends on the breed. Some get dental issues easier than others. Its wise to have your vet look at their teeth, and press on their entire body (to feel for tumors) once a year. My one cat has gingivitis, my other 7 year old cat just has a bit of tartar.

Im hoping that by brushing their teeth i can avoid needing a dental cleaning. You can either brush their teeth yourself, or they can be sedated, or you vet can risk leaving them without drugs and do a superficial cleaning.

If you dont bother getting your cats teeth checked, they can end up needing a tooth extraction or having the bacteria in their mouth end up in an organ. Toothbrushing can help delay or prevent issues, especially if done early. I just regret not starting this earlier.

Last edited:

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is more important to perform ultrasonic scaling and polishing below the gum line.  Scaling here removes the subgingival plaque bacteria and calculus that are directly responsible for periodontal disease.

While brushing could prevent plaque to form (and this can be done at home, with certain precautions), brushing will never ever remove calculus. A metal pick is needed for this. Or ultrasonic scaling.Brushing does wipes away the food left-overs, but this is something else, no calculus.

Some diets also helps, according to some web-sites and companies. I believe this is partially true, as chewing (large kibbles) leads to abrasion and saliva stimulation and the modification of mouth chemistry is crucial. But whether the diet alone suffices, I could not find any reliable reference.

Removing subgingival calculus can be done by qualified dentist or technician (in certain jurisdictions).

Indeed, ultrasonic scaline to remove calculus requires anesthesia.

Some pet dentists claim they can do it anesthesia-free. Whether this is real or not, I do not know. In humans, regular removal of calculus is anesthesia free- but this is mostly above the gum line. When bellowthe gum line, anesthesia is required. In human, ultrasonic scaling + some limited metal pick scaling is used (in my country this mixt is most common) .

Flossing cat's teeth could be excellent, but I do not know whether this is feasible.

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's correct. Brushing is important for prevention of plaque and tartar but it won't remove tartar that's already established. That's why frequent brushing is necessary, because once the plaque turns to tartar, you can't remove it.