My cat refuse to eat after tramadol and still in pain after tooth extraction

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kelvin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Never feel strange about calling and talking to different veterinarians until one of them is able to find out what is wrong. I hope your cat is feeling good today.
I can't remember if this was discussed, but, are you making sure his food is room temperature/slightly warmed? If there is mouth pain, anything cold would probably make it worse.
I will heat the food if it take out from refrigerator. The target food temperature is 30-35°C that he is willing to eat for a while, when the food cool down, he seem feeling more discomfort and turn away.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will heat the food if it take out from refrigerator. The target food temperature is 30-35°C that he is willing to eat for a while, when the food cool down, he seem feeling more discomfort and turn away.
I would definitely give this a try to help him eat until the vet can see him. ❤

Kelvin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would definitely give this a try to help him eat until the vet can see him. ❤
He will not see the vet this year, he need some time to recover after 2 anesthesia within 3 weeks. His only issue is still in pain when eating, I will give him full warm wet food to reduce this issue or give a low dose pain relief to him. Next Vet visit may be 2-3 months later if he is still in pain when eating. Everytime I bring him to the vet, both of us will in heavy stress so the vet said he is not worth to have a body check yearly unless it is necessary.

Falk Road Clowder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He will not see the vet this year, he need some time to recover after 2 anesthesia within 3 weeks. His only issue is still in pain when eating, I will give him full warm wet food to reduce this issue or give a low dose pain relief to him. Next Vet visit may be 2-3 months later if he is still in pain when eating. Everytime I bring him to the vet, both of us will in heavy stress so the vet said he is not worth to have a body check yearly unless it is necessary.
My cat Fluff just had his remaining teeth extracted on the first of December. He was given tramadol and did not sleep for two days and ate everything in sight. I'm bummed his FIV caused his gums and teeth to destroy each other. He absolutely loves to eat.

I think it's a bit cruel not to remove the pain from your cat with the gabapentin. It has no side effects except blocking nerve pain. What's the deal? I'd move heaven and earth to make sure my Fluff wasn't in pain.

Attachments

Kelvin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Fluff just had his remaining teeth extracted on the first of December. He was given tramadol and did not sleep for two days and ate everything in sight. I'm bummed his FIV caused his gums and teeth to destroy each other. He absolutely loves to eat.

I think it's a bit cruel not to remove the pain from your cat with the gabapentin. It has no side effects except blocking nerve pain. What's the deal? I'd move heaven and earth to make sure my Fluff wasn't in pain.
My vet said he is not very painful if having some grinding teeth sound when eating, it is not worth to take the pain relief with some side effect. He need to learn how to eat can reduce the discomfort feeling. He may take several weeks to learn.

Kelvin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: 07 December 2023

His appetite is much better than yesterday after the end of the antibiotics. I found his pain site is on his right side instead of left side. He is grinding teeth on right side more than left side today, but he can finish his meal faster than yesterday. I resume to give him some dry food that he eat the dry food without any painful sign, so I think I will give him more dry food later.

Kelvin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: 13 December 2023

25 days after tooth extraction. The appetite is better than last week but not as good as before. He still have some grinding sound when eating and still have some degrees of discomfort. I found his extraction site may have some infection and I will ask my new vet today. Here is the photo that i taken when he yawn.

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update: 13 December 2023

25 days after tooth extraction. The appetite is better than last week but not as good as before. He still have some grinding sound when eating and still have some degrees of discomfort. I found his extraction site may have some infection and I will ask my new vet today. Here is the photo that i taken when he yawn.
I'm impressed you got such a good photo during a yawn! Make sure to show the vet this one, as it may be difficult for the vet to see the extraction site in person. The tooth above the site might need looked at too, is it possible the tooth on the top is bumping against the extraction site causing irritation?
Hoping for some answers today at the vet. :crossfingers: