My cat refuse to eat after tramadol and still in pain after tooth extraction

Kelvin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
dear all,

my cat have some issues after tooth extraction background: my cat is 14 with weight 6.5kg, with diagnosis with autoimmune hepatitis 9 years ago, having 2.5mg prednisone each day with good control.

In early October, I discover he may have some problem with his tooth which he only use one side of his mouth with pain when eatting wet food, so I contract the vet and book for a dental check on 31 October 2023. In late October, he become more painful that he only have a little wet food and walk away.

On the dental check in 31 October 2023, the vet have one tooth extraction and tooth cleaning and I bring my cat home, but this excraction cannot solve the pain problem, so I contact the vet again to have a second dental check on 18 November 2023.

On 18 November 2023, the vet found there have 2 tooth abscess so 2 more tooth extraction are done this day. At the same time, he discover there have a ulcer near the tooth extraction site on 31 October 2023, so he take some tissue to have a biopsy. My vet said the ulcer may cause by the upper tooth that make my cat painful, now all dental issue is solve and prescribe antibiotic baytril 37.5mg once a day and Tramadol 12.5mg twice a day(when need) then I bring my cat home.

On the same day night, my cat eat some AD wet food with pain and vomit cause by the bitter taste of baytril.

1 day after the second tooth extraction, i contact my vet to get some baytril pill so that i can give the medicine to my cat with pill poper. My cat can have about 100g AD wet food on 19 November 2023 and the pain seem slightly more. I do not give him tramadol this day.

On 20 November 2023, my cat seem loss some appetite that he eat the AD wet food slower. The pain level slightly more too, I give him 2.5mg prednisone and baytril without tramadol.

On 21 November 2023, the third day after tooth extraction, my cat seem loss more appetite that he eat the AD wet food much slower. The pain level seem remain the same, so I continue give him 2.5mg prednisone and baytril without tramadol.

On 22 November 2023, the forth day after tooth extraction, my cat seem loss more appetite compare to yesterday that he eat the AD wet food much slower. The pain level seem remain the same, so I continue give him 2.5mg prednisone and baytril and i give tramadol to him because of the pain.

After he take the tramadol, i discover he is in sedation, and he was not sleep all night.

Today Morning, 23 November 2023, the fifth day after tooth extraction, my cat totally loss his appetite and he refuse to eat any food. I force feed 24g AD wet food with syringe. He still in the side effect cause by tramadol that he never go to sleep.

What can I do now? Please help, I nearly collapse with my cat oral issue.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello
Have you talked to the vet about the issues and lack of eating with the medications?

What was it that indicated your cat was in more pain after the last surgery, if I understood your post correctly?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kelvin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello
Have you talked to the vet about the issues and lack of eating with the medications?

What was it that indicated your cat was in more pain after the last surgery, if I understood your post correctly?
My cat drop food from his mouth more often with more grinding sound and more exaggerated licking and chewing movements. After showing this action, he will walk away from the food and refuse to eat for a period of time.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And as I understand it, he's getting worse with the eating problems rather than better? Can you talk to your vet again? Also, could you get a video of your cat eating so you can show your vet exactly what is occurring?

Kelvin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And as I understand it, he's getting worse with the eating problems rather than better? Can you talk to your vet again? Also, could you get a video of your cat eating so you can show your vet exactly what is occurring?
After taking the Tramadol, my cat refuse to eat any food that I don't know whether it better or not. According to my observation last 4 days after the tooth extraction, the pain level as following:

forth day = third day > second day >first day.

The appetite Level as following.

The first day = second day (antibiotic baytril given) > third day > forth day >>>>today (tramadol given)

I have given the video to my vet to see and he said everything is normal and nothing that he can do further. My cat is very aggressive to vet so my cat need to in sedation before any health check.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You've probably thought of this too, but can you find a different vet who would look in your cats mouth?

Kelvin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You've probably thought of this too, but can you find a different vet who would look in your cats mouth?
Yes, I am thinking to find different vet to look in my cat mouth, after the result of the biopsy. And I afraid my cat cannot afford 3 anesthesia within a month, he need some rest before another treatment.

My vet said the ulcer near the tooth excraction site (tooth extraction on 31 October 2023) maybe just cause by the upper tooth bite(high chance)or cancer (low chance).

Is it possible the ulcer cause by the upper tooth? How long will the pain fade away if there is no cancer and other oral issue?

My heart is broken when my cat eating with serious pain. And I am afraid the biopsy result give my cat death sentence.😞

Kelvin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
update:
at 23 November 2023 noon time:
Totally refuse to eat and never go to sleep, force feed 29g AD wet food.

23 November 2023 evening:
the side effect of tramadol seen start to go away, he start to eat some wet food by himself with pain and walk away.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Tramadol in cats can cause a loss of appetite. Your cat also had a mouth biopsy, if I am understanding, and those can be very painful at first. Keep offering very soft, wet food. Depending where you are, you might try baby food meats in jars, but make sure that there are no added ingredients like spices, onions, or any except the meat and whatever it took to process it.

I agree that if you think your vet is not helping, consult another one if possible.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Baytril can also cause loss of appetite, so it might not just be the Tramadol. Plus it's very possible even with the 2nd set of extractions there could still be some pieces of roots leftover that are causing issues. Did you go to a Veterinary Dentist, or just your regular Vet?

I'm thinking another Vet is definitely in your future, since your current one doesn't seem too interested. If nothing else, there are other pain meds available that might not cause the same side effect.

As far as the ulcer, if they pull a lower (or upper) tooth and do not pull the corresponding lower tooth, particularly if it's a fang, it can end up rubbing against the gum and cause sores. This may be what happened. It's impossible to say, especially not knowing how many teeth he actually still has and where they are located. But I would imagine any type of cut in his mouth, no matter what caused it, could result in what looks like an ulcer.

Kelvin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tramadol in cats can cause a loss of appetite. Your cat also had a mouth biopsy, if I am understanding, and those can be very painful at first. Keep offering very soft, wet food. Depending where you are, you might try baby food meats in jars, but make sure that there are no added ingredients like spices, onions, or any except the meat and whatever it took to process it.

I agree that if you think your vet is not helping, consult another one if possible.
I offer my cat with A/D wet food that he interest to eat. He is very painful that he show more exaggerated licking and chewing movements that never seem before the second tooth extraction. I will consult another vet if the biopsy result is not cancer.

Kelvin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Baytril can also cause loss of appetite, so it might not just be the Tramadol. Plus it's very possible even with the 2nd set of extractions there could still be some pieces of roots leftover that are causing issues. Did you go to a Veterinary Dentist, or just your regular Vet?

I'm thinking another Vet is definitely in your future, since your current one doesn't seem too interested. If nothing else, there are other pain meds available that might not cause the same side effect.

As far as the ulcer, if they pull a lower (or upper) tooth and do not pull the corresponding lower tooth, particularly if it's a fang, it can end up rubbing against the gum and cause sores. This may be what happened. It's impossible to say, especially not knowing how many teeth he actually still has and where they are located. But I would imagine any type of cut in his mouth, no matter what caused it, could result in what looks like an ulcer.
My cat pull out buttom left molar in the first excraction and pull out upper left molar and upper right molar in the second excraction. And the vet found there have a ulcer near the site of the first excraction, that he said may be cause by the upper left molar, so he take some tissue to have a biopsy.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tramadol sucks. It is so bitter tasting and ( this is just my opinion) causes the side effects of opioids with none of the pain relief.
For a e we hold the veterinary powers that be stated Tramadol didn’t work for pain in cats, but did for dogs. Now they have reversed that and say it works for cats not dogs. I hate it and wish vets would give cats an Rx of buprenorphine to go home. Not the idiotic manic cat creating topical or the ever so annoying hyperactivity for days long lasting injection. Just regular buprenorphine that is absorbed through the mucus membranes in the mouth snd you give it every 4 to 8 hours as needed. Vets don’t like to send it home because it means extra paperwork. Although I think Tramadol is controlled no too. So, I don’t know.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can try putting the wet food through a blender with some extra water and then putting it on your finger to lick off. Or in a syringe but not to force it just to dribble a bit at a time for the cat to drink. (I've had two cats take to that easily when sick).

When will you talk to a new vet?

Kelvin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can try putting the wet food through a blender with some extra water and then putting it on your finger to lick off. Or in a syringe but not to force it just to dribble a bit at a time for the cat to drink. (I've had two cats take to that easily when sick).

When will you talk to a new vet?
I will talk to a new vet after the result of the biopsy. If the result is not cancer, there have more space to treat my cat more aggressively.

Today I find a little spot of saliva with blood on his sleeping place, I think the biopsy result should not be good that some wound in his mouth is not healing.

Attachments

Kelvin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
update:
24 November 2023
Last day for the baytril antibiotic. The appetite is bad that he just willing to eat about half of his normal amount that he eat about 100G of A/D wet food all the day only. The pain seem to be better that he making less grinding sound when eating, hope it will continue. I hope his appetite will back to normal after the side effect of baytril go away and he will become a pain free cat again.

Kelvin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
update: 25 Nov 2023 The appetite is bad that he just willing to eat about half of his normal amount that he eat about 100G of A/D wet food all the day only. The pain seem to be litter better that he finish his meal in a shorter time,, hope it will continue.

The Biopsy result finally come out, the result is oral pyogenic granuloma, presumptive. The result vet said my cat should try tramadol as a pain relief for two weeks no matter what side effect that i mentioned is happened. He refuse to give me buprenorphine. As I complaint the baytril make my cat loss of appetite, he give me another antibiotic Doxycycline 50mg everyday for 10 more days.

The treatment of oral pyogenic granuloma is take one more course of antibiotic and do nothing for 2 weeks, I think I will bring the report to find another vet to have a second opinion tomorrow if other vet is available.

Last edited by a moderator: