My cat randomly starts limping on his back legs (left, right, or both). Help!

kelter82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So as the title states, my cat randomly starts limping on his back legs. Can be the right, the left, or both. When I pick him up he gets annoyed as usual but if I squeeze, pull, or flex his legs he seems to have no reaction. He'll run with the limp if he gets excited, so there seems to be no pain... This started just over a week ago, and it's very on and off. 

In terms of previous conditions, he's been in a few fights (outdoor cat) but nothing much has happened with him. He did develop a heart murmur, though. Also, he's 7 years old, if that matters. 

We had another cat who we had to put down suddenly because (as the vet assumes) she had clots in her heart and one or more dislodged and she lost total use of her behind and back legs. It was hugely traumatic for us... so I worry about my limping cat. I'm glad he's in no pain, but if this is a sign of something bigger I want to know.

No pet insurance, so that's why I'm posting here. Just to get an idea.

Thanks so much for reading.
-Kelly

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

So as the title states, my cat randomly starts limping on his back legs. Can be the right, the left, or both. When I pick him up he gets annoyed as usual but if I squeeze, pull, or flex his legs he seems to have no reaction. He'll run with the limp if he gets excited, so there seems to be no pain... This started just over a week ago, and it's very on and off. 

In terms of previous conditions, he's been in a few fights (outdoor cat) but nothing much has happened with him. He did develop a heart murmur, though. Also, he's 7 years old, if that matters. 

We had another cat who we had to put down suddenly because (as the vet assumes) she had clots in her heart and one or more dislodged and she lost total use of her behind and back legs. It was hugely traumatic for us... so I worry about my limping cat. I'm glad he's in no pain, but if this is a sign of something bigger I want to know.

No pet insurance, so that's why I'm posting here. Just to get an idea.

Thanks so much for reading.
-Kelly

It's hard to say what's going on but most blood clots happen quickly and cause pain and are very obvious.  This could be muscular, skeletal or neurological.  All i can suggest is a vet visit......

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
See if there is any sticky substance on his back legs.  Being outdoors he could have stepped in tree sap which would cause some weird reactions.

Are you in AZ - maybe scorpion bite

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kelter82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No stickiness, and I'm in BC. If I find out we have scorpions here I'm going north...er.