My cat randomly goes into predator-mode

bobthechainsaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Occasionally, my kitten will just go into super-predator-kill mode. It will attack everything that moves near it's face.

When it does this, we can't pet it or do anything with it or it'll swat at our hands with it's claws. Is this normal, or should we do something about it?

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's pretty normal especially for a kitten.

Maybe take the opportunity to play with him with some sort of interactive toy to help get that energy out!

And Welcome to TCS

mcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please don't let him get into the habit of attacking your hand. Use a toy to keep your hands out of the way. Have him run after something on a string that you pull along after you. A fishing pole toy is usually a big hit. Kittens have a lot of energy and don't know what they should attack and what is attached to you.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
that's common behavior. My three year still does that!

I play along with by "chasing" her (she runs quickly away) or I start throwing toys for her to run after. She is full of energy! I call it the "crazies".

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try playing fetch with a hair tie. Zissou has to do this once a day or she's mad, she even tries to play with me while I'm sleeping (I wake up with a menagerie of hair ties all over the comforter).

Gets them running and that pent-up kitten energy out.

I think kittens go into that predator mode alot when they aren't getting enough outlet for their ridiculous energy levels and they get frustrated.