My cat play a lot and eat so little

catniplover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 4 years old cat, Catnip is very very active. She loves to play a lot, running around and jumping. But she has trouble eating. Unlike my other cats (and any normal cat), she doesn't seem to ever feel hungry and voluntarily go to her bowl. I always need to take her to the bowl, sit with her, stroking her and begging her to eat. It can be a difficult process because she will just stare at the food, taking her sweet time before actually take few bites and then sprint off (at this point she is too fast for me to catch her) to wherever she loves playing. I already go to the vet and they said she has no medical problem but she is quite thin judging from her high activity level as compared to her food intake. I've tried canned food but even that, she will only eat when I ask her. That is if i can catch her. My main problem here is it seems like she doesn't know how to feel hungry and come to for food. It is very exhausting. I wonder if anyone has the same problem, and any advice you can give me..any idea on how to make meal time attractive and memorable so she will remember when it's time to eat? 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a similar situation with my cat.  It turned out that she didn't especially like the food I was feeding her.  When I switched proteins she started eating happily!  Maybe you can play around with the food some?  Some cats also like variety.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's really a case of trying different foods and flavours until you find one she goes crazy for. If th food is appealing enough she should happily come to eat.

Getting onto regular mealtimes may help too - if she knows the food will only be available for a short time she's far more likely to eat up when you feed her.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, try to stay relaxed and calm when you're coaxing her to eat.  If she picks up on your stress, she will associate that with the act of eating, and will avoid it even more, thinking that if you are stressed, eating must be dangerous.  Remember, you can't just act relaxed.  That won't work on a cat.  You have to actually be relaxed.  Also, while doing all the new foods and relaxing, you might try feeding her in a different place, just in case she associates her regular feeding spot with you being stressed.