My cat peed the bed

cruzing101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

First time poster here. I have grown up with cats my whole life but they've always been outdoor cats that came to our house and become ours. I now have a kitten, Balthazar, and am experiencing new issues raising an indoor youngster.

Balthy has pee'd the bed twice now. He is about 4 months old and never had these issues before last week. I took him to the vet and he does not have a UTI so I can rule that out. My guess is he is acting out against something I have done. His box is clean and I've used the same litter since I got him. A few other behavior problems I want some advice on:
He keeps trying to rush outside when I come home and being part Bengal he has a love for outdoors and climbing. I thought it might be a good idea to get a cat harness so I can take him outside without worrying about him running up some tree or across the street. When I got the "leash" I tried putting it on him. He did not like this too much. He let me put it on his head but I couldn't strap the sides in before he started running around and biting at it. He didn't seem too angry but it definately did not go as planned. That night I woke up to a smelly wet spot. It went through my comforter and sheets. Kind of a bummer as my comforter won't fit in my small washer dryer so I used the shower to wash it and it's kinda moldy now.

Last night was the second time it happened. This time I was not in the bed and it wasn't in the middle of the night. Balthy has a furnature scratching problem. I have bought him sissel and cardboard but he doesn't use them, preferring to scratch at my suitcases and leather furnature instead. I bought some pheromone spray hoping it would help, I guess it sort of has, but I decided to clip those nails of his to help my new dining room table chairs look new for a little longer. He was not too happy about me clipping them. I would give him a treat before and after each nail or two but afterwards I got up and went to brush my teeth before bed and when I came back to my bedroom I could smell it. He pee'd on my favorite down pillow this time and half of it went on my spare comforter. Note: neither of my comforters are down as I noticed that might be a clue. Needless to say he spent the night in his crate in the living room. I like having him in my bedroom at night and he scratches at the door and meows if I lock him out but don't want him ruining my bed anymore. What should I do??

Also thoughts on scratching and letting him outside? on a leash?

Thanks everyone for reading!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, use an enzyme containing detergent and go to a laundromat to wash the comforters.

For the scratching problem, put some catnip on the scratchers and see if that attracts him to them. Get a small medicine bottle and put some small beans or airsoft pellets in it. When he starts scratching on anything but the scratchers, give the bottle a couple of sharp shakes, point at him and say NO in a firm but calm voice.

hopps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well first things first cats do not have the ability to act out in spite. That's very important to know!

My kitten had the EXACT SAME ISSUE. Got the same litter and everything. I used a toy to lure Chloe into the litter box and I would do that every few hours. I think kittens get a little too into playing and when they have to go, they have to go. Also you can try crating him. How many play sessions do you have with your cat? I usually have 3-5 a day (5-10 minute intervals) to drain a lot of her energy. To try crating I usually have 2 play sessions 2 hours before bed time. Then I feed her a large portioned meal and she usually settles down and falls asleep. 

Having a rod toy with a string really helps. I've lured Chloe into scratching her new post, using the new litter box etc so you might have luck with that.

When you introduce something new it's always good to get the kitten worn out beforehand. When you introduce a leash you can put the harness on after a play session and feed him. Or put the harness on, have a play session and take it off. He'll forget about it. 

For the leather furniture you can try putting double sided tape (something gentle so it doesn't damage the furniture) and he will probably stay away. Cats don't like sticky surfaces apparently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cruzing101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First of all, use an enzyme containing detergent and go to a laundromat to wash the comforters.

For the scratching problem, put some catnip on the scratchers and see if that attracts him to them. Get a small medicine bottle and put some small beans or airsoft pellets in it. When he starts scratching on anything but the scratchers, give the bottle a couple of sharp shakes, point at him and say NO in a firm but calm voice.
Yeah washing the comforter in my tub was a disaster! Lol
Balthy doesn't seem to like catnip or at least the brand I bought. He smells it and backed off like it was poison. I think he scratches it less now that the catnip is stuck in the grooves. I think the bottle shaking is a great idea and will set that up soon.

I have noticed he is starting to understand walking on the dining table is a no no so hopefully the scratching is next. The problem is I like having him in the couch with me just don't like him destroying it. Can I have it both ways?

cruzing101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for responding hopps. He has never had a problem with using the litter box. Ever since I got him didn't have to worry about luring him or encouraging him when he went potty. Just did it on his own. I like to think they can't be intentionally creul on their own but it seemed like he was trying to tell me something since e clearly was angry about clipping his nails and it was so immediate after.

He is a very active cat. I try to play wht him a bunch but he just got neutered so I'm supposed to not let him be to active while he heals. Hasn't really stopped him from running and jumping around though.

Do you think the double sided tape will work if I only do it for a little bit? I don't want to have permanent tape on my furniture if I don't have to... How long do you think I should leave it on?

hopps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for responding hopps. He has never had a problem with using the litter box. Ever since I got him didn't have to worry about luring him or encouraging him when he went potty. Just did it on his own. I like to think they can't be intentionally creul on their own but it seemed like he was trying to tell me something since e clearly was angry about clipping his nails and it was so immediate after.

He is a very active cat. I try to play wht him a bunch but he just got neutered so I'm supposed to not let him be to active while he heals. Hasn't really stopped him from running and jumping around though.

Do you think the double sided tape will work if I only do it for a little bit? I don't want to have permanent tape on my furniture if I don't have to... How long do you think I should leave it on?
Maybe the nail trimming was nerve wrecking enough for him to pee outside the litter box? I'm not sure. But cats do not have the ability to get "angry" in a sense people do. So he does not have the ability to think "she cut my nails, I'll pee on her bed because I'm mad." It can also be the fact that he was neutered. That might be marking behavior as the hormones can take a few days/weeks to be gone from the system. I would try crating him at night in your bedroom. It's best to crate him or put him in a destruction free zone when you cannot supervise him. 

Chloe was using my bed as a scratching post so I understand. I got her the Smartcat Ultimate Scratching post and she didn't use it at all. So yesterday I went up to the scratching post, scratched at it and rubbed my head against it like a cat (I was getting desperate, she was ripping up my mattress) and she jumped at the post and started scratching. Also I used toys to lure her on the post. When he's allowed to run around I would defeinitely  add in a lot of play sessions. Chloe gets quite a few 10 minute sessions. And when you play try to really imitate prey. Making the feather/mouse hide, having him stalk it, and stuff like that.

The double sided tape does not have to be permanent. It can be used as a temporary measure. 

cruzing101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He did it again this morning! This time peeing in the closet. My room is upstairs and the litter box is downstairs. Maybe I should move a box in my bathroom? Glad it wasn't on my bed this time but still not fun waking up to the smell of urine. I tired leaving him outside of my bedroom at night but he meows and claws at my door all night. His mom is full Savannah and I know how that breed likes to follow around their owner. He has some separation issues and I like having him sleep in my room (door open of course so he can access the potty, but 3rd strike now so I need to fix this.

ktm3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For the scratching, you can get this product called Sticky Paws.  It is double-sided tape and really works.  I used it with my old kitty, Simba, who loved to scratch on the furniture to get attention/get picked up. 

I would definitely add another litter box upstairs, too....maybe where he likes to spray.  I know it's not ideal, but it may help.  You could also try putting bowls of food down near the places where he has peed.  Cats typically won't pee where they eat. 

My guy, Ty, is a sprayer who loves the side of beds.  The guest bed was his first place, and once we shut him out of the guest room, he started doing it on our bed.  Good times....

Good luck with everything!!