My cat pee'd in the bathroom sink...and my idiot partner smacked her for it >_<

generic war

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mecha came in last night while I was in the bathroom, hopped up onto my vanity and pee'd down the sink drain.
my question is could this be a sign that I have a chance to toilet train her (she doesn't go toilet in the kitchen sink, she's only gone in the bathroom one) and has my parnter ruined any chance by smacking her for doing it?

or could it have been just because the litter was getting a bit old and due for a change? (she's never choosen to go anywhere else before tohugh and her litter box has been very dirty before)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If her litter was dirty it could be that, but it's often a sign of a urinary infection that needs to be checked by the vet.

Please don't let your partner hit her, it does far more harm than good

You really should clean her litter everyday.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have one cat and he has two litter boxes, they are cleaned in the morning and when I get home from work and before i go to bed. The litter boxes must must must be clean. I wouldn't want to walk all over my stools and urine and your cat doesn't like it either. That would be a big reason for your cat to 'go' elsewhere. The thing is your cat has chosen somewhere easy to clean, bless. I would like to say that smacking a cat won't do anything but harm it. Poor thing probably only wanted to have a wee in a clean environment and then got smacked for it. If there is nothing physically wrong, then I would advise better management over the litterbox and also a calm but stern word with your boyfriend.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Althekitty

Poor thing probably only wanted to have a wee in a clean environment and then got smacked for it.
Poor baby

Originally Posted by Althekitty

If there is nothing physically wrong, then I would advise better management over the litterbox and also a calm but stern word with your boyfriend.
again. Keep an eye on her just incase she needs to see a vet, but definitely start by scouping the litterbox twice a day to see how she does, because cats are known for being clean.

Actually, your partners lucky he still lives with you for doing that, because him and his clothes would be on the front lawn if he did that to my cat

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree a trip to the vet isn't a bad idea, just to be sure she's not ill, scooping the litter at least twice a day is a good idea, and honestly, I'd take a good long look at the partner to see how worthwhile they are to have in my life. A person who 'smacks' a small animal may very well be the type of person who 'smacks' other people, or children, if they 'misbehave'.

Oh, you might try CatAttract litter after thoroughly cleaning all the boxes. A lot of cats of who have box issues do react well to CatAttract.

Good luck!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Siamese did that years ago - she had an infection.

As for your partner, he needs his ears cuffed.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watch her it can be a urine infection.
My Coco has one right now and my sister cat Midnight peed behind the g pig and rat cage last week and it was a uti also.
She yelled at him and I said i bet its a infection and it was.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

generic war

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I scoop her litter everyday but over the week the litter degrades and goes from being pebbles to a dirt like substance.
I've used the same litter ever since I got her in december of last year and she has never choosen to go else where before.
(max's pet litter just in case anyone was wondering)

he didn't smack her hard, just a tap on the bottom but believe me he copped a very big fight over it (because my theory is if it was because the litter had degraded she's still a good girl for not going on my carpet and if it's because she wants to go in something that isn't litter YAY)

I changed the litter into the new bag (it was due to be changed that day anyway) and she's still getting into the sink (but not peeing in it as far as I know) but she's going toilet in her box again.

what're the signs of urine infection?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Urinary tract infection is often showed by inappropriate urination. It's extremely painful for the cat to pee. I suggest scheduling a vet appt now, as the longer waited in the even it's a UTI, the more painful it is for the cat & sometimes the harder/longer it takes to treat it.

j fred muggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i suggest that you walk up to him and smack him in the head, i don't condon violence
but he needs his a$$ kicked for hitting a animal. that was uncalled for and should never be done. to me , that is the same as beating a child.
kick him to the curb....if he will do that to the cat, your next!!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by generic war

I scoop her litter everyday but over the week the litter degrades and goes from being pebbles to a dirt like substance.
I've used the same litter ever since I got her in december of last year and she has never choosen to go else where before.
(max's pet litter just in case anyone was wondering)

he didn't smack her hard, just a tap on the bottom but believe me he copped a very big fight over it (because my theory is if it was because the litter had degraded she's still a good girl for not going on my carpet and if it's because she wants to go in something that isn't litter YAY)

I changed the litter into the new bag (it was due to be changed that day anyway) and she's still getting into the sink (but not peeing in it as far as I know) but she's going toilet in her box again.

what're the signs of urine infection?
I agree with the consensus. Take your cat to the vet to rule out infections, and cuff your man upside the head. I wouldn't let my man let alone anyone else smack my cats. One of Hubbys friends tried to be funny saying how he killed a cat once, and needless to say, he's not allowed in my house anymore. Hubby knows if I find him here, there'll be
to pay.

generic war

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
eh I'm not really anti-smacking...there's a limit on it but imo it doesn't hurt to smack
sure there's a range and a force limit but a gentel tap doesn't hurt especially not with children I think anyways

I can't stand people who joke about killing animals for anything other than food though that's just twisted.

Mecha is using her litter box like normal again, I can't take her to the vet for a week because I have no one to take me.

thanks for your advice will keep you posted

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Litter boxes should be scooped out at least once a day or every other day (if only one cat). Would you like to poop/pee in toilet that is not flushed? Same thing for a cat.

Many times a cat will pee elsewhere when the litter pan needs to be cleaned. Or she could be starting with a urinary infection and really should see a vet to be sure that's not the problem.

I would advise you to clean out that litter pan and keep it clean if you don't want her using other thihgs. This time its the bathroom sink, next time my be the carpet or a couch or something that is not easy to clean.

As far as training for the toilet, I would not try - IMO its too many negative things about training vs positive ones (biggest one is you cannot monitor the pee/poop if there is something medically wrong).

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is not a funny thread...but really I would laugh before naything at the fact that my cat peed in the sink

then i would worry and take the cat in to the vet.

hitting a cat is not ok, but if thats the only time hes done it, well maybe it really grossed him out? i know we all have our weird things...

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
when they pee on porcelain, they are sick.When they pee on soft items they are stressed. Please take the sign seriously and make a vet visit.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissy if that's true, then that explains when Mitten peed in the white tub (there was a spot of blood) rather then his orange litter pan. He had a UTI! Only once in his life did he do this and that was the only time he ever had a UTI.

I thought it was smart of him to do, since blood would not show in an orange litter pan.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While the health of the cat is of paramount importance I don't think we can overly stress the importance of not "smacking" the cat. Either your partner has an anger management issue or he/she is in fact ignorant. Some animals like dogs, can be trained with punishment (although many would obviously argue that its cruel and unnecessary) CATS ON THE OTHER HAND CAN ONLY BE TRAINED TO FEAR AND HATE YOU IF PHYSICALLY PUNISHED. They do not have the genetic temperament to learn anything else in this manner, and in fact the behavior may get worse if they decide to punish you back.

The people in your home either need to make a complete commitment not to physically punish the cat or you should give the cat to another home as your home is **not suitable** as a guardian for cats.

In addition to a vet check, a 1/2 inch of water or so kept in the sink will keep her from doing this.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Hissy if that's true, then that explains when Mitten peed in the white tub (there was a spot of blood) rather then his orange litter pan. He had a UTI! Only once in his life did he do this and that was the only time he ever had a UTI.

I thought it was smart of him to do, since blood would not show in an orange litter pan.
My Siamese did that when she had a bladder infection many years ago. She went in the bathroom sink and kept meowing for me to come see. I went and sure enough there was blood in her urine. Smart critters aren't they.

Hissy is an expert on cats so I'd follow her advice.

generic war

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for all your advice I'm ringing the vets tomorow morning when they open (it's a long weekend here) to see when I can get her an appointment (but I have to wait untill next week as I have no way of getting her to the vets untill next week)
I've been monitoring her and she'sgoing to the toilet in her litter box again like normal but Im going to take her to be on the safe side.