My cat pee while asleep

Jillian02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting and also first time having a cat.

My cat pees when he sleeps. He’s a 6 month old male persian. It seems like he just pees in his sleep whenever he is in a deep sleep where he twitches because of his dreams. We already brought him to the vet, did the xray, no blockage or crystals, we also did ultrasound and the vet told me that his bladder is healthy. We did some series of antibiotics because the first vet rules out that this is a case of UTI due to stress. It didn’t improved. He recently survived feline panleukopenia in which he did take anseries of antibiotics again so if this is an infection, it should be cleared by this time, but it did not. He is a happy, active cat. He eats and drinks well. He uses his litterbox once a day for poop and peeing. He never strains to urinate. One more thing, I observed that whenever he is dreamin and leaking, his genitals come out (pink thing). Do guys have amy idea about this? The pee that he leaks doesn’t have any smell and no color.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Um. Once in a while I come across something that I have never run into before. And a cat peeing in their sleep is one of those things. He's healthy, so that's good, and he's happy, so that's even better. He's just a VERY deep sleeper. He should probably use his litter box for peeing more than once a day, though. And here my mind goes in weird directions...maybe set him in the litter box near bedtime? Worked on my kids, and the worst it would do is nothing.

Cat do dream, so I'm not overly surprised that he might "strut his stuff" a little bit in his sleep. That might be the reason, as well. This could possibly be a small amount of semen. The "no smell, no color" suggests that. Is he neutered? If not, it is high time, and may put an end to all of this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jillian02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Um. Once in a while I come across something that I have never run into before. And a cat peeing in their sleep is one of those things. He's healthy, so that's good, and he's happy, so that's even better. He's just a VERY deep sleeper. He should probably use his litter box for peeing more than once a day, though. And here my mind goes in weird directions...maybe set him in the litter box near bedtime? Worked on my kids, and the worst it would do is nothing.

Cat do dream, so I'm not overly surprised that he might "strut his stuff" a little bit in his sleep. That might be the reason, as well. This could possibly be a small amount of semen. The "no smell, no color" suggests that. Is he neutered? If not, it is high time, and may put an end to all of this.
He’s not yet neutered, I want him to atleast have one time kids. He does use his litterbox whenever we put him on to it and that is a new behavior. Cats are really weird 🥲 Very deep sleeper. Sometimes he would kick that it would wake him up.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Glad you found us and joined the site. If you wanted to look into your Persian's health issue further you might consider consulting a board certified veterinary urologist. It sounds like your present vet did all the appropriate tests and procedures so this is another option.

Regarding neutering him, I completely agree with Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . :agree: Since you mentioned this is your first time having a cat and he already had Panleukopenia you may want to reconsider mating him until you have more experience with professional breeding. TCS has a forum for Showing & Ethical Breeding that you may be interested in checking out and getting some helpful information:
Showing and Ethical Breeding

In addition, one of our members posiepurrs posiepurrs has a long history with showing and breeding very handsome Persians. If she reads your post she may have some suggestions for you.

Best of luck! We'd love to see a pic of your cat and let us know his name. :heartshape:

Jillian02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Glad you found us and joined the site. If you wanted to look into your Persian's health issue further you might consider consulting a board certified veterinary urologist. It sounds like your present vet did all the appropriate tests and procedures so this is another option.

Regarding neutering him, I completely agree with Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . :agree: Since you mentioned this is your first time having a cat and he already had Panleukopenia you may want to reconsider mating him until you have more experience with professional breeding. TCS has a forum for Showing & Ethical Breeding that you may be interested in checking out and getting some helpful information:
Showing and Ethical Breeding

In addition, one of our members posiepurrs posiepurrs has a long history with showing and breeding very handsome Persians. If she reads your post she may have some suggestions for you.

Best of luck! We'd love to see a pic of your cat and let us know his name. :heartshape:
Thank you for these info! Anyway, here’s another behavior that he just showed 4 days after he was discharged from the hospital (like a week go). He won’t go to his litterbox voluntarily, we would have to put him into it for him to do his thing. I don’t know if this is just some kind of laziness or something to be alarmed of.

Jillian02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here’s my baby! His name is Ashy. He was a gift from my birthday. I had him last July 1, 2021. Fun fact! His birthday is the same
as my Mom's!
9CB8A7CC-015B-4080-AA7F-E959ED965704.jpeg
60FFF0BD-4680-4E32-BBFB-DF6044503D61.jpeg
535FE8E7-5AA4-4CFD-AC7D-1F9A90BA7D54.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Unless you have breeding rights and he is a stellar example of the breed I would hesitate breeding him. If you don’t have breeding rights you could be breaking your contract and besides that the kittens could not be registered and would essentially be considered long haired domestics. Breeding Persians successfully is WAY more involved and difficult than a domestic short hair. Because of the big, round heads there can be problems with kittens getting stuck during delivery. This has happened twice for me. Both times we lost the kitten. We have had to have surgical intervention another time when labor did not proceed normally. We lost a kitten from that litter too. I am assuming you have or will get a girl for him. If you try to stud him out you are asking for a host of problems with diseases. Yes, breeders do share cats but it is people who are friends and the catteries are closely connected, not just a random breeding. You could bring in just about any disease or parasite, some very serious. It sounds as if he hasn’t had all of his vaccines so it would be ill advised to breed him until fully vaccinated. It would be dangerous for him and the queen. Some males, when they start breeding lose interest in being petted since all that concerns them is the next female. A whole male not allowed to breed can become testy, sometimes to the point of biting and very smelly, possibly marking territory in your home. One of my boys ( before he was neutered) walked up to me and sprayed me! He is your cat and ultimately it is your decision, but without a mentor to help you with the pitfalls in breeding I would strongly urge you to neuter him before he figures out he is a whole male.

Jillian02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Unless you have breeding rights and he is a stellar example of the breed I would hesitate breeding him. If you don’t have breeding rights you could be breaking your contract and besides that the kittens could not be registered and would essentially be considered long haired domestics. Breeding Persians successfully is WAY more involved and difficult than a domestic short hair. Because of the big, round heads there can be problems with kittens getting stuck during delivery. This has happened twice for me. Both times we lost the kitten. We have had to have surgical intervention another time when labor did not proceed normally. We lost a kitten from that litter too. I am assuming you have or will get a girl for him. If you try to stud him out you are asking for a host of problems with diseases. Yes, breeders do share cats but it is people who are friends and the catteries are closely connected, not just a random breeding. You could bring in just about any disease or parasite, some very serious. It sounds as if he hasn’t had all of his vaccines so it would be ill advised to breed him until fully vaccinated. It would be dangerous for him and the queen. Some males, when they start breeding lose interest in being petted since all that concerns them is the next female. A whole male not allowed to breed can become testy, sometimes to the point of biting and very smelly, possibly marking territory in your home. One of my boys ( before he was neutered) walked up to me and sprayed me! He is your cat and ultimately it is your decision, but without a mentor to help you with the pitfalls in breeding I would strongly urge you to neuter him before he figures out he is a whole male.
I totally have no idea about this! Thank you. He just got his first shot of his vaccine. I am really paranoid about him and all the things he do! I will attach a photo of his litter sand clump. Please let me know if this looks like a normal amount of pee or this is less than a normal. Thank you so much for your guidance! It’s really a big help!

Jillian02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I totally have no idea about this! Thank you. He just got his first shot of his vaccine. I am really paranoid about him and all the things he do! I will attach a photo of his litter sand clump. Please let me know if this looks like a normal amount of pee or this is less than a normal. Thank you so much for your guidance! It’s really a big help!
F4811FA8-B915-4A4F-8615-92D584B1653D.jpeg

Jillian02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! This is just a quick question and I badly need your knowledge. Can you have bad kidneys with a healthy bladder? My vetvalready did the ultrasound for my baby and she told me that my cat’s bladeer is healthy. I forgot to ask about his kidneys though!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Bladder and kidneys can definitely be two separate issues. You mentioned that you had the ultrasound because of the random peeing.

Jillian02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bladder and kidneys can definitely be two separate issues. You mentioned that you had the ultrasound because of the random peeing.
Yes, that is correct. The vet actually didn’t suggest it,I was the one who requested it just for my peace of mind. The vet said he has healthy bladder. Is there still a chance he has bad kidneys?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He is quite young to have bad kidneys. While I can't say for sure, most vets would bring up a possible kidney issue if they thought that one existed, especially since you requested the ultrasound.

Stargirl0623

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Adding to the mix that if a vet has concerns about a bladder and a cat's ability to reliably and appropriately pass urine, it's often automatic to check kidney function at the same time, especially if a blood test is done.

Call your vet and ask! If they're not concerned, they should be able to tell you why.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since you say that he is not neutered, I'm even more of the opinion that this is not urine while he sleeps, but a cat version of a "wet dream," a nocturnal emission as he dreams of pretty girl kitties.

My cat also has large urine balls in her box, and her vet assures me that she is perfectly fine. She just likes her filtered, chilled water. A lot.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Given he does.not look like he came from an active breeder who does health testing ( he would had had his vaccines if he did) I would strongly suggest a swab to test for polycystic disease. I doubt that this is the problem but most back yard breeders do not test their cats and this is a very painful and incurable disease. It can be prevented by testing before breeding and on nly using begative cats.