My cat only wants treats

macriley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat is very hungry all the time for treats only. It's super frustrating. They're probably healthy enough for treats, but he can't live off them. I give him canned wet food and put 1-2 treats on top or mixed in. He wants one treat per bite! I've tried everything I can think of. Changing the food only helps for a little while. Giving a lot of treats actually makes it worse. Withholding treats doesn't work, he'll not eat at all. We've run a ton of medical tests and can't find anything medically wrong. I have an appetite stimulant and anti-nausea drug and they seem to be hit or miss. The appetite stimulant makes him hungry enough to want the food, but it gave him loose stool. I sit by him and pet him while he eats and I've tried different food bowls, I've tried burying the treat, but if it's too buried, he can't smell it. I work from home and have to feed him at least 3-4 times a day because the process is so time consuming and we only make a little progress each time. His weight goes up and down, but is mostly stable. He's 11 with no known medical issues at this time. Any suggestions?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. For now, try crushing the treats and using them as a topper. Add more, if needed, as he eats through his meals. Most of the treats I buy are less than 2 calories per treat, so you'd have to be adding a whole lot of treats for it to add up to much on a daily basis.

What prompted the appetite stimulant and the anti-nausea meds if he has no known medical issues - and, if he is essentially maintaining his weight overall? Usually, these meds are not something that are given if there isn't evidence of health issues affecting a cat's appetite.

Also, what appetite stimulant - and how much - are you giving him that is causing loose stools? You said both this med and the anti-nausea meds are hit and miss? Can you explain more about this aspect?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

macriley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. For now, try crushing the treats and using them as a topper. Add more, if needed, as he eats through his meals. Most of the treats I buy are less than 2 calories per treat, so you'd have to be adding a whole lot of treats for it to add up to much on a daily basis.

What prompted the appetite stimulant and the anti-nausea meds if he has no known medical issues - and, if he is essentially maintaining his weight overall? Usually, these meds are not something that are given if there isn't evidence of health issues affecting a cat's appetite.

Also, what appetite stimulant - and how much - are you giving him that is causing loose stools? You said both this med and the anti-nausea meds are hit and miss? Can you explain more about this aspect?
Thanks, I will try crushing them. His weight fluctuates quite a bit, even though it's overall fairly steady. As I said, if I withhold the treats, he won't eat at all, so an appetite stimulant is not inappropriate. Recently, he barely ate at all for 3 days after being in a kennel for one day. Anti-nausea is also not inappropriate given these circs. I'm currently using half-dose of topical mirtazipine. When I say hit or miss, some days after using them (separately), he ate fantastically, but most days, I didn't notice a difference.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound like something medicaly is going on. Has he had a full pannel done? (Including t4 and other optional) How is his urine?

Maybe get a second opinion. A cat will develop malnutrition eating nothing but treats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

macriley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It does sound like something medicaly is going on. Has he had a full pannel done? (Including t4 and other optional) How is his urine?

Maybe get a second opinion. A cat will develop malnutrition eating nothing but treats.
Yes, we've done a lot of medical tests. He does eat food, but it's a struggle.