My cat needs to pose long enough to let me finish!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I don't want to complete by memory either. I will have to pick it up when Cassie decides to let me finish lol

Done in charcoal- be gentle, it's been years since I worked with charcoal!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, that's amazing.  How fun to pick up an old hobby, and one you're obviously very good at.  

Maybe you can get a good photo of her and do it from that!  A friend of mine did a portrait of my cat for me using a photo I'd given her.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I could use a photo. Cassie and I sit in a certain position most nights. I find it more relaxing to use the real model than a photo. I'm nuts, I know

snufkin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're finished when she says you're finished ;)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's really nice, I think you've captured her expression really well, the fact that it's unfinished actually adds a lot to it.

I studied fine art at college. Drawing done from photos always tend to be a little flat, your eye can't read depth from a photo as well as it can from a live model. Keep up with the sketching.

(It's a nice idea for a thread, sketches of our cats.)

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I studied fine art at college. Drawing done from photos always tend to be a little flat, your eye can't read depth from a photo as well as it can from a live model. Keep up with the sketching.

(It's a nice idea for a thread, sketches of our cats.)
I LOVE this idea! Drawing from the real life subject is always best, and you can really see the difference. Even if you don't end up with a finished product, it seems to have more form to it.

@Draco, do you have a portfolio page or something of the like? I know you do graphic design stuff, but I'd love to see some more of your artwork even if they're just sketches!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Models are so fickle!

I like drawing with charcoal; it is relaxing!  I haven't tried in years though!

When I took my Color & Comp class in college the instructor (an adjunct instructor) also taught water color painting and graphic design (her primary business).  She encouraged us to paint from photos.  Also because a lot of the natural scenery has changed and is gone now.  Our area had a big house building boom and a lot of farms were sold off to become developments.  I like drawing landscapes or still life much more than portraits.  I only have ever done it to relax (and a few gifts) and it's so hard to master balancing portraits.  To get both eyes the proper size, etc.  

Last edited: