My cat my have eaten a hair tie

eosthecurious

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! So about five days ago my cat was playing with my mum and after I visited them I noticed a hair tie had gone missing from the box I usually keep them in. I didn't see him eating it and my mum insists she was with him almost all that time. But there were chew marks on some remaining parts of it so I was very concerned.

He has a habit of chewing on things so again he may have chewed on it and not eaten it. I don't know. I monitored him for these days and he's been alright. There has been no vomiting, no straining, no hiding or refusing to eat.

I called his vet and he said to continue monitoring him but I'm really scared. Unfortunately the x-ray prices are crazy high and I'm just scared if they're gonna sedate him again for no reason if we have to do that. Any suggestions?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hair ties can cause obstructions in cats that require surgery. There isn’t anything you can do other than what your vet has suggested. Or if you feel your vet sedated him unnecessarily, find another vet. Preferably a feline only hospital.

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hair ties can cause obstructions in cats that require surgery. There isn’t anything you can do other than what your vet has suggested. Or if you feel your vet sedated him unnecessarily, find another vet. Preferably a feline only hospital.
Seconded. I reflexively throw away twist ties, hair ties, rubber bands, bits of string, anything like that. My cats absolutely love twist ties (the little bits of metal wire covered in paper that come tied around bread bags and such), but ever since I read about intestinal obstructions from eating such things, I have maintained a twist tie-free home.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Xrays can be done without sedation in fact, they do them all the time without it.

The xray is actualy mounted above a table one vet opperates the machiene while the other restrains the animal.

FVEAP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If your cat is fine so far, he probably hasn't actually swallowed any hair ties.